1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Private seller shipping to an FFL

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Sep 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I am working with a gentlemen who wants to buy a shotgun I have for sale. I know I need to send it to an FFL, however what information will I need from the FFL. I am assuming I will need his FFL number, which I am assuming I could jsut call and get over the phone. Obviously, I will need his address but how can I be assured that the address I am given is actually an FFL? Any information would be appreciated.

2. Guy

Guy Member

Have FFL email or fax you a copy. That's all you need. Call. If you have the money in your hand, ship to that address. You may need the FFL copy at Fedex or UPS when you ship, especially if you insure for full value.

3. Borg

Borg Member

Yep,
    What WGH said. Have the Fire Arms Liscense holder fax, or scan and email you a copy of his FFL. You might need it at the shipping point as well. You must send the firearm to the address on the FFL.

Whe I had an FFL your were required to send an originally signed copy to the sellers (fax was not ok), but that appears to have changed.

I just purchased a firearm. I hade my FFL holder fax his liscense copy to the seller.

Peter

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

If you have a copy of the FFL, you can go to the BATF website and verify that it is legit.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The faxing and emailing is new, you used to have a signed (in ink) copy of the ffl, and I always bring it. Usually they dont ask but have it anyway.

HM

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You can check out if an FFL is legit at this web site. https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

7. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I missed something I know its me but you are working with him???
    Next you dont need a ffl copy to send to ffl. You can send to any ffl but you cant get it back.
    Like a gun that needs repair you send to factory BUT they have to return to a FFL.
    I know what I would do but cant say

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You do not need anything to ship your gun to a FFL holder.

The FFL holder can ship it back to you.

Example: You send your gun to Briley and they send it back to you.

Jim Skeel

9. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

When you give a buyer, lets say a three day no shoot inspection from the time the FFL receives the gun, tell him the inspection is at the FFL dealer. If he takes the gun home for inspection, he has to sign for it, and then if he does not want to keep it, it cannot be sent back to you because it it now registered in his name, and has to be sent back to you through your FFL dealer to be put back into your name, and that cost you money. If the inspection is done at the FFL dealer, no paper work is done, and then, and only then, the FFL dealer can send it straight back to you.
    Have a good day, Ray

10. MD12SHOOTER

MD12SHOOTER Member

When you give a buyer, lets say a three day no shoot inspection from the time the FFL receives the gun, tell him the inspection is at the FFL dealer. If he takes the gun home for inspection, he has to sign for it, and then if he does not want to keep it, it cannot be sent back to you because it it now registered in his name, and has to be sent back to you through your FFL dealer to be put back into your name, and that cost you money. If the inspection is done at the FFL dealer, no paper work is done, and then, and only then, the FFL dealer can send it straight back to you.
    Have a good day, Ray

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'm an FFL. If I get a gun in (NOT FOR REPAIR, but a xfer), I MUST enter it into my PFRB and that means I need all pertinent information. I then hand the gun off the the purchaser in this case, but he's got to fill out and complete the 4473 form, and then I must NIC Check it for approval.

Once that's done, I enter the sold to/given to person's information also in my PFRB.

WW

12. yvonne

yvonne Banned User Banned

Oh my! I'm jumping in so I can save this :) I had NO idea how to do it on my own!

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Easy way is,,,

Use UPS, USPS, or Fed Ex. Go to the hub, not a UPS or Fed Ex contract carrier at Office Depot or such. Their policies often differ.

Send arm to dealer. Get his FFL number, check it on above site.

Send arm to PREMISES ADDRESS ONLY.

They will need a copy of your Driver's License with picture. They must verify identity of seller for their records.

I will not send out a copy of FFL because they can easily be Photo Shopped. This has been done, and the dealer gets read the riot act by the Fed for giving out the FFL. This was done to a local dealer.

Bad news. Once the arm is transferred to a dealer for sale, he can only ship it back to a dealer in your area if the deal goes south. Records could be fudged to return arm to sender, but this is, at best, a BIG gray area.

Some dealers will only accept a transfer from a dealer for this reason. They don't want to get caught in the middle if a deal falls through.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can a private seller ship to an ffl

private seller ship to ffl