1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prius

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by tracyhunter, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

does anyone own a Prius?I wanted to know what the mpg ave is on a long trip.not city/hwy but say a 2000 mi all express way trip.
    tk's tracy

2. Hauser

Hauser Member

43-44 MPG from Phoenix to Spanish Fork. Two shooters and all their gear.

Jerry Hauser

3. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Not an owner and not exactly an answer to your question but a comment anyway.

On a 138 mile delivery of a used one I got 54 MPG. Some in town but mostly hwy. It drove great. Great acceleration and a good driver. Seemed strange to have cold air at a stop light and no motor running and just quite.I caught myself watching the monitor a lot, out of curiosity, to see how it was running, electric or gas. Ray

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Not sure about the mileage but Toyota just announced that in 2012 they might start selling them to straight people.

-Gary

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Check the cost to replace / recycle the batteries. I heard it could be as much as $5-6,000.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

6. Traders

Traders Well-Known Member

i own a 2002 which I bought new. It works great. I have 106,000+. There have been some small problems which i don't remember. Easily taken care of. I get about 49 MPH in the city and 46 MPH on the highway. It took awhile to figure out why the milage usage is reversed over what would normally expect.

Since I have over 100,000 miles on the car I have begun thinking about the battery. The local dealer tells me that the only one they replaced was in an accident and that they have many Prius with over 150,000.
    In any case, replacement batteries are available on the internet for about $600-$700 and my car expert says it is very easy to replace them. I think that the dealers charge about $2500 for a new battery. That's easy to check by calling a dealer.

It's a great car with only one major failing. It's not made in the US. Also, because it doesn't have a trunk it's a little tricker to transport guns, not for legal reasons but for security. I have never had a problem although I am very careful where i go when I am carrying guns, where I park the car, and I alway use the back storage cover than comes with the car.

7. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

my dad has a buddy who has TWO of the damn things. says his buddy says they warranty the batteries for 100k miles.

I dunno for sure.

but I know my dad's talking about buying one. He's 73. Never figured him for a hybrid driver

8. Traders

I don't think there is an automatic 100K warrantee on the battery. It's easy to check with a dealer. I bought, at an extra cost, an extended warrantee which did go to !00. The extra warrantee was a waste of money, but i bought it because the car was new technology at the time.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Where they shine in in urban driving situations. On the highway they get almost as good a mileage as any other economy car at twice the price.

10. Traders

tripod

My 2002 Prius, with over 106,000 miles gets 46 MPH on the highway. Where are you getting your numbers. i don't know any economy car that gets even close.

Also, given its size and handling characteristics, it's hardly an "economy car" and certainly doesn't cost twice the price. When I bought mine, exclusive of the cash and tax incentives offered at the time, it was about $3,000 more than an equivalent sized and equipped vehicle.

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    If you mainly do highway driving the Pious, er, Prius, makes no sense. You're paying twice as much as other vehicles that get the same or better mileage. They can do this because, unlike the Prius, they're not lugging around discharged batteries as dead weight.

The Prius shines as a short range commuter vehicle. I'm not aware of any other vehicle that can touch it for mileage under these conditions.

Consumer Reports Best Gas Mileage

Consumer reports rates the Prius IV at 32 city and 55 highway, though many are getting much better in the city and worse on the highway.

What really needs to be looked at are the two VWs, the Golf and Jetta TFI models. They're getting 49 mpg highway, and a couple of my friends with them state this is absolutely correct. In town they're in the 25 to 27 range. The point here is that they cost substantially less than a Prius, yet are getting fantastic highway mileage. They make more sense than a Prius if you mainly do long highway driving and less urban driving.

12. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Tracy hunter.I have had 2 of them.Rember the trade in is great.I lost 9000 in over 7 years on the first oneand saved a bundel on gas.Se if you can find the article on the taxi co. that got one in canada.He says that with the savings he got the car free and is buying 2 more.The only problem is being small he can not use it on some calls.My 210 is fine and I could show you almost 60 mph to the gallon if I drove it right to get better milage.I often hall 3 shooters and their equip when we go.I will buy another next time.I have over 60 yrs in repair and towing so I think I know my cars and trucks by now.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

My Sister has had one for since 2004 and racked up well over 150,000 miles on it and has had ZERO problems. I just did the brakes on it for the first time.

Jb

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

See what Brian said. My 1981 dodge Omni miser got 42 MPG highway and cost less than 4K in the day. I was not nearly the car that Prius is, but it was an economy car that got good mileage.

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Gary,

Easy there, you are going to offend the "Vagitarian" members here. :)

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I always get a kick out of the "green" people when they talk about their hybrid vehicle. They always talk about how good for the enviorment they are and how if everyone had one the world would be a better place.

Facts:

1) The carbon footprint of a hybrid is ten times worse than its fossil fuel burning brother. The enviormental impact of the battery manufacturing alone is worse than what comes out of the tailpipe in the regular cars lifespan.

2) Most municipalities have laws in the works to make those electric/hybrid vehicles install noise makers. There has been lots of pedestrians struck by these vehicles because they make no noise.

3) I've seen a few of these hybrids after being involved in accidents. They don't fair well because they have a lot of weight down low. The weight CG is below the impact CG. This isn't good.

4) The enviornmental impact of disposing/recycling of the batteries is tremendous. No one will publish the exact figures, but you can bet it's a lot more than a standard automotive battery.

I can go on, but this post is getting long enough as it is. If economy is what you are after, the VW TDI's get the job done and are fun to drive!

ss

17. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

In Seattle, WA area there are more and more cabs switching to Prius. Last time I was riding in one I asked the guy how many miles he had on his cab and how was the maintenance. In two years he had put 400,000 miles on the car. He said there has been ZERO maintenance issues, including the batteries everyone likes to talk about. The cab driver went on to say the Prius is a no brainer because with the amount they drive the gas savings pays for the car and then some.

Also two of the guys I work with one them and they have had zero issues as well. At the end of the day it's a Toyota not a Ford, you won't have many issues.

All this talk about green and the environment. Let's get things straight, if I was to buy a Prius it would be for one damn reason and one only. I'm tired of filling up my SUV with $80 in gas @ $4/gallon and it lasting not even a week. The Prius will use less than $80 in an entire month! That's my motivation, money in my pocket plain and simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.