1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

printer/scanner/copier opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My ancient and faithful HP printer/scanner/copier finally bit the dust. I don't need fax so I'm in the market for another of that format with an eye on cost of replacement ink cartridges. Any opinions? Thanks.

2. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I just replaced my HP 6210 last week with another HP, Office Jet 6500. I had the 6210 five years and it had printed thousands and thousands of copies with very few problems but it was finally wearing out.

I don't intend to ever have anything but a HP! There service is excellent should one need it.

So far I like the 6500 just fine. It does have the fax capabilities that I rarely ever use but I thought it would be good to have it anyway.

Allen

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Kodak is running ad's on TV saying that their ink cartridge costs are the lowest. Don't know how true it is but you can probably do a search and check it out.

Eric

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

wireguy you didn't say how much you wanted to spend on a printer. I bought one in Feb. at Staples a Canon Pixma 640 wireless Photo All-In-One Printer. I have provided a link above to the item on their website so you can check it out. While you are looking you can price the ink cartridges(they call them tanks).

I had an older printer sh** the bed on me and a friend of mine had purchased one of these and he said he was very pleased with it. So I checked out his what I liked is when you get it set up there are no button exposed the paper in not exposed unless you are using Photo paper as it has a separate paper tray.

My wife has a small business and needs a reliable printer for printing invoices and order form. She also has 2 Siamese cats. I also have a Kodak and with due respect to mixer I will never own another one no matter how cheap the ink is. Her cats get up on things when she is on the Computer invariable what ever they get on gets shut off. Then when she goes to use it she get connectivity errors. The Canon no problem no buttons exposed. Here I am ranting away. The cost of ink I couldn't tell you I installed it in Feb. She use it for invoices weekly and I haven't had to replace any ink yet. BTW there are five ink tanks so it would appear instead of replacing one color ink tank you replace individual tanks as the are used up.

Any way I really like it I have two computers hooked into it through my home wireless network and it is working great I did have a little trouble getting the wireless to hook up in the beginning as I didn't have the right pass phrase for the network I call their tech support they got me connected in a very short time. Oh ya and great software also It creates PDF files single and multiple page and other good stuff. Check it out. Oh ya and it prints on both side of the paper as well.

Bob Lawless

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I just bought an Epson Artisan 710 and I love it. An 800 would probably be even better.

I would buy another one.

Hauxfan!

6. jmas

jmas TS Member

HP 6500 is great

jmas

7. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have a number of printers but one I use day-to-day is a Brother 465CN. It's an all-in-one, color, network printer, relatively inexpensive, with a small footprint, and hooked-up to my router. Very easy set-up. I use non-proprietary ink (read cheap) from DataBazaar without any issues. All my laptops print from it (wireless), including a Mac. Got a relatively small paper tray (100 sheet capacity) and I don't recommend it for printing photographs. Chichay

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll vote for an HP, too. I've had several of their multi-function printers and all have worked well.

Ed

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

HP 6500 and it works. Only problem is cartridge life!!

10. Cooperdisciple

Cooperdisciple TS Member

I have an Epson, about 5 years old. It's been a lot of printer for the money.
    I would look at the cost of replacement cartridges before choosing a new printer (look on e-bay for reference). When I bought my Dell computer, they wanted to sell me a Dell printer at a great price. I almost went for it until I saw the price of their ink cartridges.

11. willing

willing Member

I've always had HPs but the cost of cartridges is going to make me try Kodak. around $30 for color and black.

willing

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

My Lexmark printer, scanner, copier uses an all in one color/black cartridge that sells for around $25. I'm not sure how that price compares to other printer cartridges.

Eric

13. kenf

kenf Active Member

I am not sure if Epson has changed their cartridge/ print head design, but stay away from them if the print head is a part if the printer, not part of ink cartridge. I had two Epsons that printed great, but after the second set of cartridges went bad ( or at least the software said were bad) the third set would not print. No amount of cleaning would help either. Oh, then there was the lawsuit against Epson regarding there software claiming the cartrige was nearly empty when it still had a bunch of prints left in it.

I am very happy with my current HP.

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I like HP's printers but the cartridge cost and lack of longevity pushes me away. Thank you for all your helpful replies. This is one of those "lots of research required" purchases.

15. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

OK, I just ordered a Canon PIXMA MX870 Wireless Office All-in-One from Amazon. It is extremely well rated including for fairly cheap ink. $130.00 delivered. We'll see if it lives up to it's 4 1/2 star rating.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have a separate scanner, laser printer, and color ink jet. I can scan, copy, or print as I please. If I just need black and white, the laser is WAY more economical. If any one of the three items fail, I can replace just the one unit. Granted, the initial cost was a little more, but my cost per page is very low and the equipment has lasted for many years, so far. If I want an all in one, I'll wrap them up with duct tape. :)

As a rule, I stay away from HP these days. Their support is pretty poor and they have not shown any improvement to convince me otherwise. Their products are not as good as they once were and there are more driver and software conflicts to deal with, especially with other HP products. They also take over you system with all sorts of useless stuff. Why do I need a reminder to purchase supplies, even if nothing is running out?

Canon was probably a wise choice, since they seem to work well and I have had very few problems with them. I don't care for wireless, but they can usually be wired as well.

It used to be that we would repair or service a printer, rather than replace it. HP has introduced the disposable product. It's a new business model. Build a product with a defect that will allow it to fail out of warranty and then sell the victim (customer) another one. It usually costs more to repair a unit than it would be worth. Try pricing HP replacement or service parts.

17. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

We bought a Lexmark 3 in 1 five months ago. Prestige Pro806. Blurb on it states that it has the "lowest black ink cost!" It uses a 105XL black cartridge and has separate color cartridges. Wireless or USB connections. Use it daily to print a couple of USA Today puzzles plus other things, had to replace the black cartridge last week for less than $6. HarryC

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a HP 7350 and it is a workhorse

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You can buy new Lexmark printers for less than the cost of the ink cartridges.

But this AM my daughter called, and picked up for me a HP 6980 for 22 dollars at Kmart. Aparently they are closing them out.

There is 71 bucks worth of ink in it.

I can toss that too If I need.

But I can buy refill kits too and fill the cartridges myself.

Go check Kmart quick, pal.

HM

20. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I have had several HP printers. No complaints with the printers,HOWEVER,the price of the cartridges got to be a real problem. I bought a KODAK & I am amazed at the amount of printing & photos I get out of the Kodak. I bought their Model 5250 from Home Shoppers,& with the Kodak CASH rebate,the cost came down to around $84.00. I really like it,& as I said, " the cartridges seem to last forever & a day."
    Joe Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.