1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Principal Bans Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Yosemite Sam, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam TS Member

Found this at: <a href=http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/19760084.html>WCTV News</a>

(CBS) Most children growing up in the US memorize the Pledge of Allegiance. But, in one Oregon elementary school, the kids won't be allowed to recite it at an end of the year assembly.

The principal banned it that day so as not to offend Muslims.

One resident of Portland, Oregon was a little surprised when she received an e-mail from her stepson's school principal.

The e-mail said that the children would not be reciting the pledge because of its reference to God.

Instead, the students would memorize and sing the Preamble to the United States Constitution.

But it's not just non-Muslims who were offended.

At least one Muslim community leader says he feels the same way. Muhammad Najieb says that 'God'
    is central to the Muslim faith, and there are several references to him in
    every prayer.

Portland school officials say the principal was trying to be sensitive, but some Muslims say the ban caused hurt feelings, and may foster bitterness and division within the community.

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I wonder who THIS person is going to vote for in NOV?

3. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

FWIW, Eisenhower added the words "under God" back in the 50s. I grew up in the public school system and we always had a few who would not say the pledge (JWs, a few radical lib kids etc) and this was back in 60-68. I am a school administrator now but still have two 11th grade classes that I teach. The entire school says the pledge each Monday morning at at every assembly.

To my way of thinking, if the pledge offends you, your skin is way too thin and you just might be living in the wrong place. No JWer ever took us to task over the pledge, they just opted out for reasons of conscience. That's pretty dang American in my book. That principal is a fool.

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

IMO, the principal must have had some outside pressure to make the decision to substitute the Preamble to the United States Constitution for the Pledge of Allegiance. It is sad that schools cannot concentrate on education instead of being a battleground for various groups wishing to promote their particular agenda.

The principal, IMO, should have said a firm no to the outside group and suggested that they pursue their issue either politically or in the courts as it pertains to every school in the nation, not to one school in particular.

I wish that some group would get up in arms and support improved math and science textbooks and related classroom supplies.

Ed Ward

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Was the principal afraid to offend Muslims or Barack Obama supporters? I think it is Obama who is offended by the Pledge.

6. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Hi:
    Back in the days when I was on the city council, we had a local 2 year college student government association decide to eliminate the pledge.
    I had all the surrounding cities pass a resolution that the State Budget committee and the legislature would be reminded of that fact at the appropriate time.
    The City College president finally saw fit to have a new election of the student government. Situation was resolved and the pledge reinstated.
    Might want to pass this onto the city council where this school is located.
    The moral of the story is you can stand for your rights, but you better be prepared to pay the piper. (Or something like that)
    Regards,
    Dave

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I hate to tell you, but most school in the USA do not say the Pledge any longer.

As a retired school administrator, I had the Pledge recited on each and every occasions I could. I also demanded that each classroom had a clean and fresh American flag. As a kid in school in CA and SD, I always remember feeling pride in looking at that flag up there in front of the room.

Consequently, I have always owned and flown an American flag, always a VERY LARGE one. You can always find my home on patriotic days, because I have the largest and newest flag RED-WHITE-AND-BLUE waving in the breeze. Even my new minister neighbor has picked up on the process.

Back to the pledge: According to the Supreme Court, you cannot force anyone into saying the Pledge, but must provide an easy alternative to those who do not wish to participate. Sometimes this can be s stickler... we end up making poor little Johnny "feel bad" when he has to leave the room while the rest of us recite the Pledge WITH UNDER GOD in it!

Most school districts request it not be recited due to this stigma - I WHOLE-HEARTEDLY DISAGREE with administration on this, but (and the reason I was a pain in the ass to higher admin) I always objected to their chicken attitude.

I always felt the school systems needed more law suits AND NEEDED TO WIN THEM, rather than succumbing to the complaining mothers. Seems the tail wags the dog any more, the complaining minority get the attention.

Here's what really torqued my jaws: At sporting events, we would always respectfully stand for the Native American whatever it is they do, and then when it came to the Pledge, many NA would either sit down and/or talk among themselves when we recited it. Not all do/did this, but enough to piss me off.

I always figured there were people among us who lost loved ones fighting for our freedoms, but then I guess some of those freedoms protects one's desire NOT to participate, as much as I disagree.

I may not represent the majority here, but I HIGHLY respect our beautiful RED-WHITE-AND-BLUE and what it stands for.

I saw in my profession too many "followers". I often used to say in meetings if we all were afraid to do this or that, about 200 years ago if that was the attitude, we'd all be saluting a British flag.

IMHO.

Whiz

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

It is a Portland area school and can be expected to behave much like San Francisco, Seattle, and other super-lib societies.....Bob Dodd

9. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

This guy sounds like a candidate to be the next ambasador to sadar city in bagdad.....

Bet you he would live about 45 seconds at least.

Ronbo

10. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

I am a teacher of American Government in a suburb of Philadelphia, PA.

That guy is wrong for "Banning" the pledge and the SB should overturn the guy's decision.

If the kid and his family feel offended with the God reference due to their religious convictions, then by all mean they are dismissed from the class until the pledge is finished.

If they are offended by the pledge itself, then by all means they can leave the country on the first jet out of hear.

How many Americans died so we can live the way we do in this country???????????
    How many of my former students are in Iraq and Afghanistan right now????
    To many I can tell you that.

If you don't like it, leave. Like I would tell anyone.... "You are FREE to go!"

11. willing

willing Member

As you all know?

After a proclamation by President Benjamin Harrison, the Pledge was first used in public schools on October 12, 1892 during Columbus Day observances

The U.S. Congress officially recognized the Pledge as the official national pledge on June 22, 1942.

After a campain by the Knights of Columbus and introduction of bills in Congress the words "Under God" were added, Eisenhower opted to sign the bill into law on Flag Day June 14, 1954.

All this uproar about "Under God" is fairly new. The part about J. Witnesses was about idolatry.

Bill

12. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

All public schools in Florida a required to say the pledge each school day. State law. Individual students may choose not to say it but they must respect the others right to say it.

13. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Only what the future holds. Oregon beats out California and the East Coast bastions of liberalism. 50 years ago the guy would have been out of work that very day. There has been an adage for many years "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". This goes back even further to "render onto Caeser that which is Caeser's" If the muslims, buddists etc. are not accepting of our way of life. There are seats on the planes going east. When I travel off shore, I attempt to learn enought of the language to get along. I would never expect someone to alter their beliefs on my account. What in H is the matter with these liberals?

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

In my opinion Muslems are sub-citizens. They should have no rights afforded to a US Citizen since they owe no alligence to any government. Our government should not afford them any rights reserved for a citizen. That means If you can't pledge allegiance you shouldn't be able to vote.
    Joe Goldberg

15. bocephus

bocephus Member

When are the people going to realize what the liberals are doing to the US? I sincerely hope enough finally get it and do everything we can to avert the downfall of this great country!

In reality I believe it is already too late to reverse the damage already done- damage we are not even aware of yet. We are in a tailspin and not much of a chance of pulling out of it anymore.

The Supreme Court is supposed to rule on the seconds amendment, I believe they will rule that we are allowed to own firearms "WITH REASONABLE RESTRICTIONS" so in reality we lose again......

It is past time we stop compromising with the left

Go back to sleep America....be careful or you may offend a liberal somewhere

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I forgot to mention Muslems Have no problem with god Just our country.
    It's the liberals that want to do away with god.
    Joe goldberg

17. bocephus

bocephus Member

Believing in "God" is not a "religion". It seems many liberals are purposely confusing the two.

Something else purposely misinterpreted by the liberals, "separation of church and state". That means the government has no right to impose a state sponsored religion on the American people such as is done by England, which is part of the reason for our forming our own country in the first place.

We are guaranteed "freedom "OF" religion NOT freedom "FROM" religion.

Wake up America!

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Typical America hating liberal POS! If saying the pledge offends you then fine. FIND ANOTHER COUNTRY TO LIVE IN! I used to think Ameicans would eventually rise up and take this country back, but I no longer feel there is much hope. There are too many gutless sheep who will let the liberals call the shots until this country is destroyed! The God haters(and there are some on here) as well as the suck up feel good liberal pukes ARE NOT the majority in this country, yet they are alloweed to dictate the actions of a whole nation. At least this so called principal wouldn't hold a job in MOST of the south and would probably find the natives very UNFRIENDLY in most areas here. I'm sick and tired of idiots that think there is some constitutional right "not to be offended". Liberal dirt bag scum are always preaching "tolerance" as long as it is tolerance THEY BELEIVE IN. They are all two faced lying pieces of garbage! There is nothing that tells you how to interept the word God in the pledge. No one is forcing little Abdual (or anybody else) to convert to Judio-Christian beleifs, but if the muslim parents don't like it they can go back to their third world nations! I didn't spend 25 years in uniform for some worthless piece of human garbage principal to tell American kids they can't say the pledge. Why don't all you liberals find another country to live in. That way you won't be "offended" by those of us who have an allegance to this one!

19. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I agree with slide action, If saying the pledge offends you then fine. FIND ANOTHER COUNTRY TO LIVE IN!

Now lets pledge to ban the moron principal.

Berettaman7

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

FOR GODS SAKE JUST TEACH THE %^&($%^ KIDS SOMETHING! MATH READING ENGLISH SCIENCE HISTORY!!!!!!!!!! NO rather teach them alternate life style and about Tommy's 2 dads. heck I though I got a crappy teaching at my school. Thank god it was a trade school cause they dropped the ball on the academic side.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.