1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cal_1, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cal_1

cal_1 TS Member

I am looking at the alliant reloaders guide because I was given some red dot powder. Almost every load for gun clubs uses remington primers. I have a bunch of Nobel sport primers. They are not the same are they? Will it hurt to interchange them I don't tink I should please let me know.

THANKS

2. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Go to their website and you can get any of their data you want for free.
    Sonny

3. cal_1

cal_1 TS Member

Alliants website?

4. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

Follow the links to shotgun reloading.

Frank

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Nobel Sport primers are not directly interchangeable with the Remington primer. Even the size of the primers are a thousandth or two off. The Nobel Sports seem to enlarge the primer pockets so a standard primer may not fit properly after a Nobel Sport had been used. Substituting primers and other components is a crap shoot. It's hard to tell just what the results would be. If you are loading low pressure loads, you may get away with a substitution, but I would rather have some credible data to go on. I would call Alliant and get their take on it. They can possibly recommend an adjusted load to conform to the components that you wish to use. Just remember to weigh you powder drops with a scale when you set it up and check them regularly.

That said, if the pressure of the starting load is low enough, substituting a primer considered to be a medium-high brisiance might not be unreasonable. I would be certain to ask the advice of the powder company, or other source of reliable data.

If you go to <a href="http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx" target="_blank">Alliant Powder</a> and look around, you may find some newer data than you can find in the "printed guides".

6. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

My limited experiense is that when only changing primers in a particular load to Noble/Fiocci, which appear lower brisiance than Rem/Win/Fed, they leave more unburnt powder in the barrel. I have generally gone up a half gran powder to get better results. Keeping in mind I load soft and will be at low pressure, but if I were loading high load pressue this could raise other issures - thus I would be using only proven/listed recipies.

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Reckless substitution of primers can cause the Moon to leave orbit and crash into the Earth. HMB

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Has anyone ever had a problem using Fed 209 primers in AAs---REM---hulls?--sjb--

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Just call Alliant and ask for a Tech. It's quite easy, and they are some good guys to talk to. 1-800-276-9337

Wayne

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Has anyone ever had a problem using Fed 209 primers in AAs---REM---hulls?--sjb--</I></blockquote>

Fed 209 primes are all I use in AA hulls.

MK

11. cal_1

cal_1 TS Member

Thanks for the help I will give them a call

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I just talked to Alliant yesterday on this very same question and the tech says all specs on primers such as, Cheddite, Rio,Nobel,Win, Rem, Fed, and others as far as strength, but diameters are something that shooters must be aware of, He assured me they are interchangeable.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot