1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ken a, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ken a

ken a Member

I have heard all kinds of opinions of different primers but seldom anything about CCI 209. I recently bought some of these primers at the club for reloading and seem fine to me so far as is the price. Anyone having good or bad experiences with CCI primers. Thanks.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There are generally two primers offerred by CCI for shotshells. The CCI 209 and the CCI 209M. The "M" designates a magnum primer and it is very good at getting large charges of slow powder burning. It will also raise the pressures over most "standard" primers. The other choice, which I believe is the one you are inquiring about, is the standard CCI 209. It is a decent primer and will usually perform well in loads designed to use it. There is a LOT of data out there for it. I would hesitate to swap these primers for another in a load listing something other than the CCI primer. These primers are generally "mild" but can cause a dramatic increase in pressures in certain loads, so don't take "mild" for granted. Use them as listed and they should work just fine. I have used them for years, along with some of their predecessors. They all went bang and did what they were supposed to do. I would recommend that before loading too many of one load, do a little testing before you find you have flats of substandard loads. Not all listed loads will perform well. I freeze half a box and keep the other out at room temp. I will then fire them over a chronograph and see what they do. If they are consistent and work well while cold, they then will get some pattern testing, if it wasn't done at the same time as the chronographing. The CCI209M is a favorite for some of my heavier and cold weather loads for "special" applications.

I have not heard of many issues from other reloaders using them either. Usually there will be some discussion about poor primer performance or some with a tendency to pierce when fired. These don't seem to have generated many stories of woe.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The regular CCI primer is one of the primers I use regularly. It has been well tested and there is sufficient data for it. And I don't punch in them.

MK

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I use some CCI 209M when reloading Remington hulls, Red Dot and Windjammer wads. I like this combination. I don't shoot Windjammers on a regular basis but do get on a Windjammer kick once and a while when reloading no. 8 shot. I recently loaded up some for shooting this summer.

5. philk

philk Member

Bought 10000 last summer when I couldn`t find WW`s. Have shot about a thousand now thru the Cynergy. Seem to work great, no issues at all.