1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by abby748, Mar 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abby748

abby748 TS Member

Can the 209 primers be used more or less interchangeable? I noticed a slight change in some loading data based on primers. I have also found that the Rem primers fit nicer in my 28 gauge STS's than say Win's. CCI's, Win's, Rem's, are burn rates faster, slower, hotter etc. Anyone know?

2. abby748

abby748 TS Member

The web is great, hate to answer my own question but there is a very interesting article to read posted here, www.armbrust.acf2.org/ Big changes can happen to your loads just deciding to by the primer that's on sale or available. Good read.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lots of info on what your aasking. Do a search.....

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

What's the big deal about changing primers?

Just buy what is on sale and adjust tour load accordingly! Basically, it means changing your powder bushing.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

As far as standard primers go Fed 209A are considered hot and Rem 209 are considered weak. The rest fall some where in between. HMB

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Use reliable data for the EXACT components you are using. Changing primers can sometimes have a dramatic effect on pressures. The effects are not always predictable either. "HOT" primers may sometimes decrease pressures and some "MILD" primers might increase them. It's a crap shoot.

7. Heckyea

Heckyea TS Member

Since discovering Cheddite primers I use them in everything I laod. Seems to work for me.
    Ron Zimmerman

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

If you closely study enough reloading data, you'll see that Quack Shot is right.

Nevertheless many folks substitute primers, say a Cheddite, Rio, Fiocchi, Wolf, etc., for Rem, Fed, CCI, Win. There exists much more data for the latter. You often read that the former can be used with Win209 data, which are supposedly in the middle range of brisance for shotgun primers. I confess I've done that myself, but only if the recipe is below a nominal 10,000 psi.

Substitute at your own risk.