1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by reddottm1, Aug 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reddottm1

reddottm1 Member

I have been loading fiochi primers for a long time now, found some cheddite on sale bought 2 thousand and now I find that some will fall out of the hulls that have fiochi primers loaded in. I do not have a mic are the fiochi larger or the cheddite smaller?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Fiocchi, Rio and nobel are all metrically cylindrical. Ww,and cheddite, are tapered and cannot be used in cases having fiocchi primers.

3. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

"I do not have a mic are the fiochi larger or the cheddite smaller?"

Uh.... Both! Is this a trick question?

Mark

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

I'm not trying to hijack the thread but how are the Fio primers using Reminton hulls with Clays & 700x powder?

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I use Fiocchi primers, any Remington hull, mainly Gun Clubs, CB1100-12 wads, and Clay Dot, to load a 1 oz load at 1200 fps. It takes a little extra effort to load the primer the first time, then I'm good to go for as long as I decide to use the hulls, usually 4-5 times. Good clean load, that is soft on the shoulder, and can break anything I shoot at. Mark

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Here ya go:

ahab_2008_0303129.jpg

7. oz

oz Active Member

the fiocchi's are bigger. I found this out years ago. after using the fiocchis you can put a ww, rem, cci or others in with your finger

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Fiocci makes both American size primers and Europeans sized ones also.

Every so often ... some dummy at the plant will mix up a batch with both sizes. Found out the hard way when I bought a sleeve of them.After I used them up and bought Winchesters ... is when I found that out! Every 5th or 6th shell had primers falling out.

I don't buy Fioccis any more!

9. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Deprime and resize and you can then use win and rem primers.You have to have the resizer set a little tight.

10. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Ahab, thank you for publishing that chart. It's now printed on my best photo paper to hang on the wall. You get two attaboy's for that. :)

best....mike

11. C-Money

C-Money Member

I have been using Fiocchi primers for a long time. I have no complaints. They work well. I keep a few thousand new STS hulls in a different container. That way if for some reason I need to, I can go to this batch of hulls to load with American primers.

12. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Gents,

I hadn't thought of the re-sizing affecting the primer hole size, so might that be the reason I've been able to use Fiocchi and Cheddite interchangably in my STS hulls without losing one or the other primer in the process? Using MEC tools re-sizing every time is just part of the process and also enables me to use shells in any of the 10 or so 12 ga guns that I may choose to shoot on any given day. It should be said though that if you have been loading very long you will have an occasional primer loss, especially if you pick up shells from the ground to load. Just all part of the game.

Another point, Cheddites are a "friendlier" primer to load in some hulls the first time. notably Federals as they are a couple of thou smaller in diameter. Cheddites are "double diameter", that is smaller at the top than at the full seating depth and generally eliminate the popping sound you will get when loading most shell the first time; in other words there is a tapered step in the diameter. Hard to see but can be measured.

In any case, this has been my experience.

Larry