1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rickm181, Mar 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickm181

rickm181 TS Member

I am currently using Winchester 209 primers.I keep reading about other cheaper primers.Which primers could I substitute in my hulls and not make the hole bigger?

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

None that are cheaper. Hulls are cheap...you can get them most places for 3 cents each. With the cost of Wins you are likely not to go back to them anyways. Just my 2cents.

Forrest

PS I just got 5K Fiocchi primers. I have shot a couple hundred. Great ignition!

3. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

PMC`s work fine for a few of us at our club and never a misfire . $17 per 1000 last time we bought them . I`ll never use Winchesters again for personal reasons since a batch or 5000 were bad and the cheap way they addressed the problem . Gave me 2 - $5or$10 discount coupons that when returned , Winchester wouldn`t make good !!!

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Fiocchi and Cheddite are the only two that I know that won't expand the primer pocket. Of the two I would recommend Fiocchi 616 at about 80 bucks a sleeve. FD

PS I like RIO primers as well and they are hotter, but are a couple of thousands larger.

5. mike b.

mike b. Member

Fiocchi's I purchased 6 mo. ago are all oversized.

6. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

No the aren't, measure them and you will see. The difference being that Win,REM, and FED are tapered and the Fiocchi aren't. FD

7. Mac V

Mac V Guest

If you're going to replace Winchester primers entirely with something else, the Rio primer is a good deal. Just a tad hotter than Winchester; there is data for it on the Rio web site. Rios will stretch the primer pocket so those hulls must stay Rio. Rios want a drop of a 1/2 grain in a 17.5 grain load of Clay Dot under a Figure 8 wad carrying 1 1/8 oz. of shot.

Mike

8. dennis (nj)

dennis (nj) Guest

HOW DID I GET BROUGHT INTO THIS ??? GET ME OFF THERE

9. Mac V

Mac V Guest

That link doesn't go anywhere except to open the list of my own posts for edit.

Mike

10. jappo

jappo TS Member

I bought a sleeve of Cheddites a while back and none of them would seat properly in my Remington STS hulls. I've since heard this from others.

11. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Won't give the French one stinkin' dime. Shoot Spanish Rio's or Italian Fiocchi's.