1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Primers Yay or Nay?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Loumish, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loumish

Loumish Member

I was wondering if there is any big difference between all of the Manufactures of 209 Shot Shell Primers. or is cost about the only thing? I am aware of Velocity changes, but I am looking for practice loads anyway. When I go to Shoots, I buy manufactured loads.

Thanks

Louis
  2. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

I buy Fiocchi primers. The price is right and they perform OK for me.
  3. Bob_K

Bob_K Active Member

Some of the primers represent a significant difference from others. The CCI209M and the Federal 209A primers are hot primers, and will usually give higher pressures. If your load is already in the upper pressure limit, it is not wise to randomly substitute. Winchester, Remington, Nobel Sports, and Fiocchi tend to be on the milder end of primers, and a substitute between them MAY be ok if your load is operating down at the 8000 psi range. You could always ask the powder manufacturer about a specific substitution to be on the safe side.

Tom Armbrust has a good discussion on primer substitutions. See the URL above.
  4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob TS Member

Cheddites have been becoming a new favorite of my fellow reloaders. I've been using Winchester 209s forever. The price of primers is getting rediculous!!

Maybe someone should come up with air shotguns!
  5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Chedittes for me also as with many club members except for those die hards with more money than me who buy the high end Winchesters and Remington primers . They all go off for me . Primers don`t miss targets except for the dud Winchesters I bought years ago that cost me some money at the State Shoot . Never again .
  6. skeeljc

skeeljc Active Member

Cheddited in everything, even my .410 loads.

Jim Skeel<BR>
    P/W Dealer/Distributor
  7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

I vote for the RIO PRIMERS I use them exclusively, never had a dud yet on over 50,000 of them, the flash hole is big and ignites slow burning powders fine as well as fast burning powders.

I use them on Longshot, 800-X,Winchester Super Field, and of course Promo.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  8. JACK

JACK Active Member

Hey Gary. Are RIOs the same size as the Win AA primers? Cheddites are bigger.
  9. dtate10

dtate10 TS Member

Hopefully this helps out a little bit.
  10. JACK

JACK Active Member

Helps a lot. Thanks. My experience with Cheddites was good except they did nto seat as well.
  11. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I switched to the Cheddites also a few years ago. Have no problems in Old Style AA Winnies or in the STS's or Nitros. Quite a few thousand with no mis-fires. When the Win. 209's dried up and the price got out of hand for them I switched. I see the prices of the Winchesters is coming down and the Remmies are going up. I don't care if they are made in France or where ever, they are o.k. by me.
  12. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

I have gone exclusively to Nobels after years with Winchesters. I understand that they are interchangable in all recipes and the price is definitely right with the Nobels. Winchesters got to be too expensive. 25,000 so far and NO misfires or problems.
  13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Primers matter in some loads. Out of the HODGDON loading manual pg 58 and 59:

1 1/8, International, Ched 209, WAA12, 19.3gr (1200 fps), 11,300psi max load

1 1/8, International, Win 209, WAA12, 19.2gr (1200 fps), 9,600 LUP...21.3gr (1250fps) 10,800 LUP max load

So why is one in PSI and one in LUP?
  14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

If you look on the Hodgdon website with regards to the above recipes, the loads with Win 209 primers are listed with LUP, not PSI, so you are comparing apples to oranges. Mark
  15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Your right Mark, my error. I changed it.

So why did they do that? One load in psi and one in LUP?

Regardless, you exceed 11,300psi with a Cheddite primer and 21.3 gr of International.
  16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

Another vote for Rio primers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.