1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primers: Win vs. Rem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bigclown, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Does anyone know why Alliant Powders do not indicate any reload data for Remington STS hulls using Winchester 209 primers? Found a load for 1 oz. in Rem. hulls using Red Dot, but none with Win. primers. I see the merit in using only Rem primers in Rem hulls and Win primers in Win hulls, but there are lots of loads for other powders which reflect both primers can be used, but, understandably, with different powder/wad combinations. So, why are the loads with Red Dot or Green Dot for that matter limited to Rem primers in Rem hulls. I have heard there are dimensional differences between the primers...so what do the experts say? Thanks, Ed

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ed I think it truly short sighted of Alliant to take this position. One of their strong backers, Sir Pat Ireland, will voice exactly the same position and he will admit he lives just a hop and a skip from Alliant's facility and uses their products. I have used primers from any source in shells from any source for more than 30 years including several years with Cheddites in AA and Rem hulls. I've never had an issue that would stop this habit in that time and prefer to use powders that have suggested recipes that will show cross use of primers/hulls. I could find myself happy with Alliant powders if they DID test and print recipes with different primers/hulls.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ed,

Give Alliant a call and get their take on it. They tend to develop data for hulls with matching primers. If you are careful, you can usually substitute another primer, if the loads are developing reasonable pressures.

I feel it is short sighted of Alliant to develop data like this, but in this day and age, it appears that cost cutting hits everywhere. One set of data instead of four, five, or six with different primers must cost quite a bit less to develop and publish. Alliant is not known for providing reams of data for every combination. In one case, they apparently just flatly tell you to use another manufacturer's data for one of their products.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

BigTuna_ One reason for the lack of data might be that the Rem primer has straight walls and the Winchester primer is tapered. They are designed to go into different shaped holes. I would suggest calling Alliant or sending them an e-mail or sit back a few days and they might respond to this thread. Technicians from Alliant do monitor this site. They will be back in the office next Tuesday.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.