1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primers????? What's going on?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Primers????? What

I wonder what's the real story why primers do not exist for sale today???Wonder if its part of a picture we do not have privey to???? I find it hard to believe NO ONE has primers for sale.. They are cheap and easy to make on fully automated equipment.. I'd be running 24/7 to make all I could right now.. and inport a zillion from Europe.. (BTW zillion is the next step after trillion.. Obama has not figured how to get us that deeply in debt.. but he's trying).. I invite your reply..

2. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Stopped by Fin, Feather, Fur located in Ashland, OH on 4-14-09, weren't much there as far as primers. Had just a few 209 size but try to find rifle or pistols primers, no way. Darrell

3. nrasmus

nrasmus Member

Around NE 209's are pretty easy to find but I have been stoppig in an looking for small rifle and pistol for at least 6 months and only found a couple hundred. I can't even find dies for 40 S & W. I have even tried looking online to buy some to no avail.

Nick

4. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I have some each Small Rifle, Fed. Gold Medal match 500 and 900 Rem., Small Pistol Rem 5&1/2 LR Mag Tech & CCI, Fed. GM Match in my shop. . 4 or 5 months ago I had about 70,000 rifle and pistol primers, Now about 6000. Can't get any either.

5. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

I'd like to trade some Fed. 209A's for some small rifle primers,,a thousand would help,,,

6. LMac

LMac TS Member

Heard last night at the club that all the primers are setting off shore awaiting the outcome of pending legislation about the registration of ammunition and primers and such. Heard this from a friend of mine that has a gun and shooting supply store. He had a large order that wasn't showing up and that is what he was told. Was told there are three cargo ships anchored off the east coast awaiting the outcome of the pending legislation.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just got 10,000 W209 here in the midwest. Location location location.---Matt

8. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear PBB,
    Very simply the demand has exceeded the USA mfg. capacity. Remington is telling their distributors that all Remington center fire pistol & rifle primers are destined for their actual ammo manufacture and expect none for quite a while!! I do not believe that ships are waiting offshore with the present high cost of primers!! Fear is driving the demand for these primers. Happened about ten plus years ago as I remember. It's the lack of powder availability that disturbs me. Only one company left in the USA and I do not like the lack of competition. No more 12 pounders and the shipping of one pounders to maximize their profit! It sure increases the cost of target shooting for me.
    Sincerely,
    Jet Boat Bill

9. Tekyn gold

Tekyn gold TS Member

Matt, Where in the midwest???

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Mike..... They are getting a little hard to come by here on the West Coast as well. I just bought 25,000 Cheddites 2 weeks ago, and my vendor assured me that he will have all I want when I need more. He, too, is awaiting a shipment of both Cheddites and Fiocchi's...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

PerazziBigBore, Trap2 just answered your question. He has all of the primers.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

My friend, Dick Quesenberry, who is in some sort of management position that covers Federal Ammunition, told me that the ammo manufacturers are having a hard time keeping up with current metallic cartridge demand. They have shifted their resources to making rifle and pistol ammunition. This shift includes primers.

Pat Ireland

13. grntitan

Tekyn Gold--- I have a FFL dealer in So Illinois that hooks me up. That order had been on B/o for more than a month.

Sarge-- HOARDING is an opinion. I've been waiting like everyone else. If you use them then thats not hoarding. Hoarding is when you stockpile just to have them out of fear there will be no more.

There is no big goverment conspiracy just trouble with supply and demand.

Matt

14. grntitan

Fred-- You are right on the election consequences but not because of any new laws or bills being passed. The fact is O'bama is from my state of Illinois and people are panicing unjustly. Now i'm not saying down the line some laws or bills won't be passed but lets be real people. I don't load nor shoot 10,000 a year i split that with the guy who suppies me. I do shoot and load 5000 a year and well now i'm good for awhile. You are also dead on about the 380 fun shooting. People are buying that shit up to sit in there closets. Hell my personal opinion is the 380 is as useless for fun or protection as tits on a boar. My advice to the primer searchers is put your name on the waiting list like i did and wait. I had to buy quite a few flats while i was waiting to reload again. Then when you find or get primers, get what you need and leave some for others. Maybe this mess will straighten itself out. HA HA HA I doubt it at least not anytime soon. Thats my take on it anyway.----Matt

15. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Ammo manufacturing is like building a airport or oil refinery no money for it no one want it near them and fear of government making new laws and restriction. I would build ice boxes on a Eskimo reservation first Jon

16. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I have some once fired small pistol primers for sale if anybody wants them :)

17. grntitan

Old Joke

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"They are cheap and easy to make on fully automated equipment.."

Unless things changed in just the last few years, they are neither easy to make, nor are they made on fully automated equipment.

19. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

Please be assured that ships are not anchored offshore waiting for the price to increase. This is a ridiculous comment that is passed around each time a commodity is in short supply. The economics alone negate such a practice. In March 2009 the average day rate for leasing vessels was as follows:
    Tugs $6500.00
    OSV's $21,925.00
    Anchor handling tugs $75,000.00
    Containerships & tankers, over 100K DAILY.

Second; all ships entering US waters are required to submit an advance notification of arrival 96 hours prior to entering port with the National Vessel Movement Center in Martinsburg, WV. Once filed it is a major no-no (To read $$$) to deviate from the reported sail plan.

Yours for keepin' it straight,
    USCG Licensed Master Mariner (Upper Level)

20. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

1290 FPS,

It was posted on the internet and friends in the knowing place have told this for the truth????? You don't mean that Winchester wouldn't spend $100k per day to make an additional $2 on a case of primers. Say it aint so!!!!!!!!! LOL

Sometimes folks should listen to what they are going to say before they say it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.