1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primers in STS shells will not seat deep enough

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Jul 6, 2013.

1. striper

striper Member

At the last meet there were some sts shells that looked once fired that I picked up. Not that I don't have a few thousand in the loading room. I just had to have them LOL.I load with a Mec 9000 with automate (Love it)I use cheddite primers and I have loaded thousands of STS shells before with no problem. I put the shells in first station went fine,primer dropped it all looked normal but the stations would not rotate. The primers on the STS shells were not flush with bottom of brass sop they hung up. I tried a few more same thing happened. Can anyone explain why these particular shells did not load properly?

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It's either the shells or your reloader. Did you try going back to using some of your previous stash, to see if they would load correctly? Maybe something has gone out of adjustment on your loader. If you were using Cheddite primers before, there shouldn't be any difference with a new batch of STS hulls. The brass bases usually are very compliant. Mark

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Lower the reprime tube, problem solved.

4. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

Take the tube off that pushes the shell down onto the primer and put a washer between the tube and the press.

5. notarget

notarget TS Member

I have found it difficult and sometimes impossible to seat European primers in Remington 28 gage hulls on my MEC 9000. The Remington primer pockets are designed for their primers and they really don't want you to be able to use other brands. I solved the problem by avoiding Remington hulls.

6. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

CCI's fit fine!!

7. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Striper:
    I use Winchester 209 primers. Like you, when I seat them in STS hulls they do not want to seat all the way. Like some of the others have mentioned, I have had to shim the reprime tube downward to get a full seating. The good news is, it does not mandate any change to my reloader if I happen to load some other brands of hulls. I.e., now that it is shimmed, it can stay that way. Mike

8. UtahYork

UtahYork Member

I have a MEC 9000 and had the same problem with Gun Clubs and 209A primers. Everyone tells me that the second reload will be easier. When my shells did not advance, I just pushed the top of the recently primed shell to the left and the shells seem to rotate fine. Kind of a pain, so I'm finishing up with my once fired Federals before going back to the Gun Clubs. John

9. skipsor

skipsor Member

The answer to your problem is to take a 15/64 or a #1 drill and remove the excess plastic that is in the primer pocket. This doesn't affect the hull it, just removes a small bit of plastic.

The Remington primer has a very distinct radius on the end and all of the others are much straighter.

You will be amazed at how much plastic you will have on your bench after a hundred or so hulls. You should be able to do about 100 in ten minutes or so.

A side effect of this is if your gun tends to pierce the Cheddite primes this will almost completely eliminate the problem. I say almost because there are very few absolutes in this world besides death and taxes.

Edit: I have have shot 400 give or take a few of my drilled Remington hulls and so far the pierced primer situation has disappeared.

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Use Remington primers and the problem will go away. Like others up thread have said, Remington primers are shorter and more rounded at the nose than most and Remington makes their hulls to fit their primers.

11. skipsor

skipsor Member

Old Cowboy, you are correct but the problem is availability and price. It is almost impossible to find Remington primers in Southern Cal. and when we do the price is outrageous.

If they were available at a competitive price I'd use them in a heartbeat but they aren't.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Skipsor, good tip. I have issues with Cheddites in STS hulls using a Dillon. I usually have to do a second bump to seat them on once fired shells. And I've got many thousands. I'll try your method.

13. billn

billn Member

I had this problem with STS 410 using Win 209, I adjusted the primer setting to where the Win 209 would seat down , it didn't affect my Winchester shells when using the same seating.

14. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Never had this problem using Fiocchi 616 & STS hulls, fit like a glove in my 9000H.

15. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

"Take the tube off that pushes the shell down onto the primer and put a washer between the tube and the press."

I had forgotten that I put the washer on the reprime tube for Remington STS hulls.
    When I read this thread I remembered doing it. That washer has been in place for about 13 years now. The washer does not effect the reloading of any other hulls.

16. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

This has been an aggravation that has keep me from using Rem hulls for years unless I run out of AA's. It has to be a sneaky, deliberate attempt by Remington to encourage one to use Rem primers, which I refuse to buy. I suppose at some point I will drill out the primer pocket and use all the STS once fired hulls I have collected.

I have tried adjusting the primer seating post higher but that doesn't always work and then the primer on AA's will seat too deep. I have seen Gun Clubs that would never allow a primer to seat even after being loaded numerous times.

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Never had a problem seating a primer in a Remington 12, 20 or 28 gauge hull. HMB

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Keller, Companies spend enormous amounts of time and money trying to get an edge on the competition and they flat out lie. Think about the magic chokes. Magic porting and magic forcing cone work, magic barrel diameters, etc.

How many more years will Remington Nitro's be "new, softer recoil?" That has been printed on the box for years. If it's softer it's slower.

I did load 200 STS hulls recently with NS primers and was surprised to notice no problem, so maybe there is hope. I had so much trouble with Win and Cheddite primers I stopped using REm hulls.

Search tags for this page

mec 9000 new primer seat

remington gun club drill bit primer

remington nitro 209 primers not seating

seat primers in remington sts shells

winchester primer not seating deep enough in mec reloader