1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primers in shot cup?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Jun 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Okay, another mention was made of using a spent primer in a shot cup (wad) to reduce the volumne of the wad and allow for a smaller shot charge, i.e. 1-1/8, spent primer and 1oz shot. Would this be legal in an ATA shoot? Are there any other rammications doing this? What about possible danger. The spent primer having a lower denity than the shot, would fall short of the shot's final destination. I would think the gun used would not suffer any damage, as long as the spent primer is in the wad cup, but just does not seem right to me. Do any of you know of any clubs that have a proabition against this practice? How many would be willing to admit to this practice?

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I think it would violate the max size of 7 1/2 shot rule for ATA. Why not just use the correct wad?

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I did that very method to use up most of a case of 1-1/8th oz clay busters when I started shooting 1 oz loads. It sounds sort of mickey mouse, but it seemed to work fine. Other people told me to usa about 4 popcorn grains. Good Luck

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are worried about violating the shot rule you can glue the primer to the bottom of the shot cup, then it will be part of the wad. And there are no wad rules to violate. HMB

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I doubt you would ever get called on a rules violation but as someone else pointed out ... why bother? Getting the correct wad isn't difficult or expensive. And yes, I know a guy that adds one, sometimes two spent primers in the shot cup to make things 'fit'. I have enough going on at the loading bench, I don't want another step in the loading process.

6. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Folks have done that for years without issues.

7. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I would be concerned with two things. What would or could this do to the pattern.... and "what if" you screwed up and a live primer was used?

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Bridge, what do you think would happen to a live primer in this situation? Bet it wouldn't be life threatening.

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I would doubt that a live primer in a shot cup would do anything other then exit the barrel. I have been using a MEC 9000H since they were introduced and twice mutilated primers without going off. One was forced in the primer pocket upside down and the second was flattened sideways down to 1/8 an inch. Remember when Bruce Bowen was trying to achieve a catastrophic barrel failure and putting live primers into the powder? Nothing happened.

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

live rifle primers a hoot One layer and packed cotton on top shoot at a block wall. You know "hey guys watch this"

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Using live primers could cause the Earth to leave orbit and crash into the moon. HMB

12. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

[ Using live primers could cause the Earth to leave orbit and crash into the moon. ]

Lol, more likely, Uranus....

lol

13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

A fellow shooter I know swears his DB81 blew up because he thinks he dropped a live primer in a powder charage (he was one short at the end of his reloading session and could not find it anywhere), maybe I can have to contact Brue Bowen to explain his tests. The only time I have ever seen barrels blow or bulge is becuase of an obstruction, wad or another bullet, in the case of a rifle, handgun. I don' know about enough about primers and the extra pressure they can deliver with a load of powder.

14. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I can remember John Wooters doing this in one of the old gun rags thirty or more years ago, before all the specialty wads were available. He'd use one, if memory serves, to go down to 1 oz and a couple to go to seven-eighths. Can't see any harm if they are dead and inside the cup (on the bottom). If in the middle or top of the shot pile they'd probably not help patterns.

(I've done it a couple times myself when I "wanted" some 1 ounce loads and didn't want to drive into civilization to buy wads).

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd be worried about the primer scratching the barrel if you want to talk about what ifs. Like others said, use the right wad and don't worry about what would or could happen.----Matt

16. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I wish someone would patern test with primer at the top of the shot charge and bottom of the shot charge and post the results.

tom

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

tom-n8ies

"I wish someone would patern test with primer at the top of the shot charge and bottom of the shot charge and post the results."

Why would that make a difference? I have been involved in reloading for a very long time. In all of that time I have never seen a primer in the shot cup spent or otherwise recommended in any of the reloading manuals or reloading hand books.

Yet when someone comes on here and says he uses 1-2 grains more powder than is in the manuals everyone tells them to use only published loads. Now I am reading how everyone seems to be leaning toward this practice. Not one of you has even asked a question about if it is safe or not. What the hell is wrong with you people????????????????

Bob Lawless

18. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

One of our club members uses Cheerios for this purpose...Bill

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Fred---I do so agree. If these things were meant to be loaded in shells they would list them in the mfgs. load recipes. Just buy the right wads, cheapskates.-----Matt

20. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

I remember that a shooter was doing that and calling pieces to get targets he missed. Jim Pettengill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

spent primers in wad