1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primers form 3/4oz. load?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mike K P, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Primers for 3/4oz. load?

I enjoy shooting 12ga 3/4oz loads. My current load requires W209 primers, I have a lot of Fed. 209A Primers as well as Fiocchi 616 on hand and was wondering if anyone has any recipies for 3/4oz. using these primers? Thanks, Mike.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They say when going from Win209 to Fed209A to reduce powder charge 1/2 grain and keep everything else the same. HMB

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Don't guess (or start building "he said, she said" loads!)

I am assuming that the formula you currently use is one that's been tested and published? Before you put ANYTHING "experimental" through your own gun, generate a few formulas and send at least 5 examples of each to Kevin at Down Range Mfg. to be tested for pressure and velocity.

Morgan

4. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It's hard to believe just changing the primer on a 3/4 ounce 12 gauge load will make a big change in pressure unless you are loading them at 1350 fps. I would be more concerned about the velocity. I recommend chronographing your reloads. Muzzle velocity is valuable information to have. A simple chronograph such as a Chrony will work for shotgun shells.

There are not many target loads listed for 3/4 ounce loads. I have been successful taking listed 7/8 ounce loads and reducing the shot charge down to 3/4 ounce. This usually increases the velocity by 50 to 75 fps. Using a chronograph I then reduce the powder charge to obtain my desired velocity (1150 or 1200 fps).

After you have achieved the muzzle velocity you want then send the reloads to someone that can do a professional job of measuring velocity and pressure.

Jim Skeel

5. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

The current load I'm using is a published load. I was hoping for other published loads using the two primers I listed. If there are such loads. Thanks. Mike.

6. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

11/16ths. & 3/4 oz. loads - check manual but these have worked great for me.

AA hull
    CB 0178-12
    Claydot 17.9 grs.
    Fio primer
    #9 shot
    Approx. 1300fps.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"The safest thing to do is just call company for the powder your using."

I don't agree...

While the powder company reps may be courteous and friendly, if the information you want is not published in their data tables, there are reasons: either they've tested the combinations and found reasons to NOT publish the results or they've never tested these combinations at all (more likely) and will "make projections" about the effects of component substitutions. I've had it happen. Do yourself a favor and have your experiments tested.

Morgan

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I use clays powder, they only list win209s for 3/4 oz

9. Mike K P

Mike K P Member

Flincher100, You are right I called the powder manufacturer and the pressures are so low changing primers is no problem. Thanks to all. Mike.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.