1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primers for .410??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by melie, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melie

melie Guest

Please pardon my ignorance.
    I have been reloading 12ga for a while and I am just
    now starting to reload .410.
    Will the .410 use the same primers as the 12ga.?

thanks,
    Mark

2. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Make SURE you get published data. The 410 runs at high pressure when things are right. Pressures can red line real fast. H110, 296, 'Lil Gun work well for most uses. I have gone back to 296, but H110 is the same basic poweder, with differences in lots.

I like the Orange PC wad. If needed, file out the shot bar to get an honest weight, or to get a proper crimp.

Downloading the little fellow is not a good idea. Follow the recipe! Loads a little over 1200 always worked better for me.

4. melie

melie Guest

Thank you

Mark

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Primers was the question and I would say no, as data for the small gauge is not available from all manufactures in regard to .410 and 28 gauge.

Now, if you wish to reload without published data...

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I recomend that if you are loading STS hulls that you go with the full Remington replacment, a bit more expensive but excellent products and reloads.

Ronbo

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

.410 primers used to be colder than normal for lower pressures.

Federal 410, Remington 97-4, etc.

Remmy primers are the coldest nowadays, just use a published recipe.

The old standby is 296/H110, about 15 grains. I used wichester primers with those, but used Remmy in the Remington hulls, as I could not seat the slightly larger Winchesters.

HM

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Primer fit can be a problem with 410 hulls. HMB

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just make sure to use primers with a covered flash hole when using fine grained powders. You would want to prevent powder from migrating into the primer. Most modern primers are covered, but take a look to be sure. Be careful to use reliable data and you should be good to go. Primer substitutions in the 410 (or any other gauge for that matter) is certainly not recommended. Use the EXACT components listed in the data.

Watch the powder and shot drops. I've had some shot hang up in the shot drop tubes on occasion. I look and listen as the shot drops and the shell moves to the next station. The smaller diameter of the tubes can be a problem in the .410 loaders with coarser powders and larger shot sizes. Even 9s have hung up on me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
410 primer only

410 primers

primers for 410