1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primers, anyone?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

You guys did know that Gamaliel is selling Nobelsport primers for 107.50 per 5000, right? Plus they are throwing in the shipping with the haz fee. Sweet deal if you ask me. Jim

2. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Is there loading data for them>

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

There are some very negative issues with these. They enlarge the hole in the hull making them useless for other primers. They dont go bang in cold weather. I bought 5000 and got so fed up with them that I gave them away. If you live in a warm climate and do not vare about the hole size go for it.

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I saw the primers but I didn't see anything about the free hazmat?

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

As I recall, what I saw in Trapshooting USA was, the Nobel primer had the same "A" & "C" dim. (width) as Federial 209's (.242). As a matter of fact, almost every dim. was the same.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Hodgdon has said in the past to use Nobel Sports primers in place of Winchester in their loads. As far as enlarging the primer pockets, I have had occassional trouble seating them in Remington steel headed hulls, particularly the 20 ga Game hulls. After the first seating there has been no problem. I used to think they were oversize and enlarged the pocket. What I've come to realize is the problem is the profile of the primer. It is a little longer and has less taper than the STS primer. I have had an occassional off sounding shell in cold weather. I don't know if it was the primer, the wad, or maybe how the wad was seated (slightly cocked?). Anyway, my answer has been to use them in Remington Game and Gun Club hulls with Nobel Sports primers for practice, and the name brand and premium hull for matches.

7. dimapower

dimapower Member

Agree on an occasional (1/25) off-sounding shell in cold weather with light load Promo. Stepping up to 18.5 grains seems to help (using CB1118 wads). No negative impact on my average. No issues oversizing the primer hole in STS, Gun Club or AA hulls. Worth the savings to me.

8. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Gamaliels's IS combining the HAZMAT with the shipping, but not for free. It runs about $140/5000 to my locale, plus my state's sales tax of 6%. There is a local distributor here who has Winchesters and Federals for about $150/5000, and Rems at $160. For me, it's a better deal to just go with the name brand ones for just $10 difference in price. ....Rick

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

NobelSports do go in a little hard. I used to think they were oversized but after carefull examination found that they have less taper than a Winchester or Cheddite and are a little harder to start.

I have used several thousand in my Beretta 390 with good results.

Jim Skeel

10. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I miked my Nobel Sport 209s, same size as my Win 209s...Bill

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have used about 10.000, have good luck with them, 1 time had some off sounding loads went back to shell brand ( Rem. Win. Fed.)wads & trouble went away. I would not be afraid of them. Ross

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.