1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer switch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Apr 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Can I substitute Fiocchi primers for Cheddites or Remingtons?

2. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

Yes......I have done it many times. Price usually determines which one..RUN'EM

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Personally, I think Remingtons are a bit on the cool side and that Cheddites and Fiocchis are awesome primers for the money.

I have had some shooters tell me that Cheddites are hotter than Fiocchi, but I can't tell the difference between the two.

John E.

4. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

There are recipes for each of these primers, and to maintain the same velocities (same wad, hull, and powder) requires different powder charges. Additionally, at low temperatures (less than 40 degrees F), at pressures less than 8,000 psi I've had problems with "bloopers" using fiochi primers. Bob K

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Right now I'm using Cheddites but have a 1K Fiocchi primers setting on my bench. I'll load them up as soon as I run out of Cheddites.

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

Powder companies must love wasting resources.

They actually test (or at least list) specific primers with specific loads.

They must think we are really dumb.

They even do that for the freaking little bit of plastic that holds the shot. Imagine that!! How can the wad have any affect on the load?

Amazing isn't it.

Like the idiot I am, I have paid hard earned money to buy reloading manuals and even waste paper downloading recipes from accredited sites.

Don Verna

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Don....... PRICELESS!!!..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rich219

Use the exact components listed in the data, or contact the powder or other component manufacturers for advice. Switching primers, without data to support it, can be a very dangerous proposition. You have no idea what such a substitution will do with regards to pressures. Unless you have the facilities to do pressure and velocity testing, you are working with an unknown. You could also send some shells out for pressure testing and know for sure. Granted, if the pressures of the load you are starting with is low enough, it would probably not raise the pressures enough to be dangerous, but you have no real way of knowing that for sure. Considering that a good percentage of target loads use fast powders, the possibility that such a change could put the pressures over the top is very real.

On the other hand, you could also cause a load to become inconsistent or perform poorly if the pressures go the other way (down).

The simple answer is that it's not that simple.

If you are considering such a move, ask yourself if the thousand primers you are going to use, are worth the possibility of damaging your gun, yourself, or bystanders. We won't worry about the embarassment of a thousand bloopers. Those won't hurt much, unless you are on the wrong end of the gun.

The question I have about some of these responses is, exactly how can you tell the difference between primers without actually testing the loads for pressure and velocity. Remember that velocity can have little to do with the pressure that the load develops. Exactly how do you "feel" or "tell" any difference between primers, other than if the shell went bang or not?

9. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Try search for this topic, oh and while you're at it, look for blow ups too

It's no wonder we are becoming a third world country.

Phil Sharpe must be rolling in his grave!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.