1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Switch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Can I substitute a cheddite primer for a Remington 209 primer?

I am looking at the following load:

1 oz #8
    17.3gr Red Dot
    Cheddite Primer
    TGT 12 Wad
    Rem STS Hull

2. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

i USE NOBLES IN PLACE OF REMINGTON AND WINCHESTER....i USE LOWER PRESSURE LOADS.

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Do you see anything wrong with the above load? I'm substituting the primer only in the Lyman 4th edition manual and the book calls for 18gr with this load and I'll be using 17.3.

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

No problem! I've shot a bunch of Promo loads with 18 ~ 18.5 gr using the same components. As long as you stay away from the top pressure loads you should be fine with the Cheddites. I've used Wolf primers as well with the same results.

Go for it!

AndyH ;-)

5. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I did find this but do not have first hand info so use your own discretion.

Cheddite primer sub for W209

Postby Ned S ยป Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:02 pm
    RSI RSI 110, 131, and 132 with the Cheddite Primer were checked by a English Proof house and came up with same vel and press. as the W209. The UK reloaders prefer the Cheddite Primers which are cheaper for them and about .001 tighter. Ned S
    Ned Swygard

Ned S

OR:

Have a buddy ( soon to be ex buddy) try one of your new super soft loads and stand at a safe distance.

Rock

Jim

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I have my powder set to throw 17.9 gr, on average, right now so I'm still below the 18.5gr max load that Lyman recommends in their manual.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Why not call or email Alliant and ask them. I'd be hesitant to swap primers in a load that develops much over 8000 PSI, unless I had a little more data to go on. Any references to Cheddite primers and substitutions are usually pretty unreliable, since there are several versions of the Cheddite primers. If the info comes from overseas. I'd strongly suggest that you disregard it, unless you are CERTAIN that they are referenceing the exact primers that are available here. You neglected to mention what the pressure spec was for the load you were looking at. That would make a difference when trying to assess something like that.

If they are listing 18.5 grains maximum with the Remington primer, I'd go a bit lower than 17.9, unless you have some better info to go on. What IS the pressure of their "maximum" load with 18.5 grains? Are you using the exact same components otherwise?

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Uh, sorry. That was uncalled for.

I shot up 5000 Cheddites last year in combination with Titewad powder in ounce and ounce and a sixteenth into STS hulls and fig 8 clones. 15.2 for the one ounce and 16.7 for the heavier shot. The one ounce loads had little perceived recoil, the 16.7 no difference or a little less than my Green Dot hcp loads. Using a PW. All the guns we use can handle these loads andpressures, CG included.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.