1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer storage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kcbullets, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

What is the longest anyone has stored shotgun primers?

2. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

15yrs for me.

Life, Job changes, a couple kid's college educations got in the way and now I have a Dentist and a new gun and back to shooting for 3 yrs now.

Primers, powder, lead and shells all good when I got back to shotgun.
    The replacement cost sucked though :( !

3. hoot619

hoot619 Member

If you need a safe place to store them I can handle it for you.I will keep them

dust free and also make sure they work by testing a few hundred every other week.

All of this at no charge to you. Ken U

4. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

LOL. thanks Ken I appreciate the offer. I asked because I was buying a large quantity and was just curious on experiences.

5. dgh

dgh Well-Known Member

Keep them cool and dry and they will last a long time,, I have 15 year old primers as well, No worries

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I store then in the loaded shells in stacks in my garage ... So far, so good ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. BryanF

BryanF Active Member

What's a primer and where do you buy them?

Bryan

8. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Not sure what your homeowner policy reads, but I have heard more than 10K primers voids insurance with a home fire. Food for thought
    DaveB

9. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I store all my primers in 50cal ammo can's..... they last for years!

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have some old 45-70 shells from the early 1900s---They still go bang and accurate out of my Trapdoor----Have you ever wonder why,if found a WW1 or WW2 ammo or bomb,how the say stay clear----I have primers from the early 60s that I still use for my practice loads and still no misfire---Don't worry---hoard them---I just bought 5000 Win primers @ $150.00 amd told the price will go up if you can get them----JMO----George@SJB

11. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I just finished up a batch of the old Remington *97 primers year before last. I quit shooting trap in 1973 and I purchased them sometime before that. My Red Dot powder had faded out to a very light pink over the years, but both powder and primers worked perfectly when I started back to shooting in 2009 when my grandson got interested in shooting trap. Storage conditions I have is a cool, dry basement that didn't have much over 15 - 20 degrees of temperature change during the year.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Years and years if packaged properly. Same with powder.

13. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I rely on 70 yr old primers every grouse season. Grouse aren't easy to come by so it pays to have confidence in your ammo. All I hunt with are paper factory loads from the 1950's and they never fail to go bang.

However, roll-crimped paper factories date mostly from before WWII and I found them way too unreliable. I think all the small arms research for the war effort made a huge stride in primer reliability.

Like a lot of others, I have flats of target loads that are 15+ years old and I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a shootoff.

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have 15,000 unopened (3) cases stored in the original boxes and sealed in wad bags.

15. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I have several hundred CCI 209's from early 70's. I'm not sure where they were stored over the years but I won't use them any more. Noticed they really smelled bad after firing, majority of them worked fine. Had 3 though that were weak, flame out the barrel and from the port, weak sounding. That's enough for me to not use any more, at least in competition.

16. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Bryan, now that was funny. They are almost extinct. Very hard to find right now

17. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Heck, I've still got some Alcan 209 Primers from the mid 70's and they fire
    just like they should. I tried a few the other day just to be sure. If I remember right, the plant was destroyed in a fire or something in the mid 70's. They have been on the shelf ever since.

Big Jack

18. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

For however long you care to store them, always store them in their original container.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.