1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PRIMER SIZES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hreinke, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

I bought a couple of boxes of top gun Federals at Wally World. I fired them once and tried to reload them with a Federal primer, and the primers seem a little loose going in. I then measured one of the primers I pushed out and the size was.242. The primer I got from Federal to reload with, seems to be a little bit smaller(.240 to.241. I also tried these primers in the remington gun clubs and had the same problem. I was just wondering if anyone else was having this problem?

2. JRW

JRW Member

I have loaded quite a few top guns and gun club hulls. I am using Fio 616 primers as my win 209 primers would fall out now and then. Jerry

3. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Remingtons are about .242, Winchesters about .244, Nobels about .245. The Winchester 209 has a 2 step taper, with the flash hole end measuring .238. I doubt that Federal primers would fall out of reloaded Federal hulls. Nobels tend to enlarge Remington hulls such that when Winchester 209's are used in the same hull, after a Nobel, they may fall out.

4. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

trapshooter421 ...... If you HAVE to use slip fit primers in a should be press fit hole, you can always use a little super glue to hold them in place after the hull has been de-primed and prior to powder drop (de-prime, size, apply super glue, install primers & run through reloading process) if this HAS to be done.

Your Top Gun hulls may have had FC616 primers installed when new, if so acquire some FC616 or CH209 as a replacement, both will be press fit & both burn at the approximate rate of a Federal primer. For comparative data click on the URL above or copy and paste: http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp

5. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Trapshooter421, .240-.241 is quite small for a 209 primer. The spent one's you measured at .242 may have been a standard .244 before being inserted into the steel base of a Top Gun. I use Fed. 209A for some loads in Top Gun/Estate hulls without issues. Possibly, the primers you bought were made by a contractor or just mis-sized.

Buz

6. hreinke

hreinke TS Member

Thanks to all that answered. I guess I will buy nobel primers next time, that way I now they will fit in everything.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I have not had any trouble using the Federal 209A primer on the first loading, but have used an oversized primer for the second and then toss the hulls. My main reason is that I had nosticed some "soot" around the primer upon the second firing with the standard sized primer. Using the oversized primer on the second loading seems to have fixed the problem. The Rio G-600, Nobel Sport, etc have worked well. Just be careful with the Rio primers as they appear to be as hot or hotter than the Federal 209A. The Federal 209As I have here measure .242" - .243" on the average, so .240 - .241 is a little small so you may just have an odd batch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.