1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PRIMER SIZE

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Jun 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

i have been using cheddite primers. if i change to fed, rem, or win will they fit good? i was told the cheddite are larger and my primer pockets would be bigger now. help charles

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The last Cheddite primers I had were essentially the same size as the Winchester, CCI, Federal, and Remington primers I compared them to. I have experienced absolutely no issues when loading a standard 209 primer in a hull that had a Cheddite before. I had some older Cheddite primers that were larger. Some primers like the Rio and Nobel Sport are larger, and will enlarge the primer pocket making the hull unusable with a standard 209 primer. Be careful when swapping components like primers. It can sometimes result in excessive pressures. Use reliable data, or ask the component/powder manufacturers for advice.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I used Winchester and Cheddites through probably 100,000 cheddite primers. Never had an issue with them. They are (maybe were) a little more squared in diameter while the U.S. brands tend to taper a bit so the Cheddites, in once fired hulls, would "snap" into the primer pocket in my experience during those years.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.