1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primer size

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Schoolcop, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

I've recently run out of Cheddite primers and can't get anymore. I've read they are just a little bigger than other primers. At this time I can only get fiochi and cci primers. I've used cci in the past and have had no problems. My question is, can I use either one of these primers in my hulls I've previously had cheddites in or will the primer holes be too big. Thanks, Randy

2. EdSy

EdSy Active Member

Randy:

I believe Fiocci are almost an exact substitute on a size basis. -Ed

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

4. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

I appreciate the chart and info guys, but I still need to know if I can return to the cci's after the hulls previously were loaded with cheddite. Thanks,Randy

5. dirt stirrer

dirt stirrer Well-Known Member

Unless you just can't read the chart provided, I would say yes. I seriously doubt that .002 is gonna stretch the pocket to where your CCI won't fit. If in doubt from our advice, then go with the Fiochhi primer for the life of these hulls. Buy ya a box of 100 CCI's and try it, if they don't fit, save them for your next batch of 1X hulls, or just send them to me. This ain't rocket science.

6. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

Well dirt stirrer, as much as I appreciate your concern over whether or not I could read the chart, I just wanted to know from someone with experience if they would seat properly. I appreciate any and all advice given on this forum, and by the way that is the perfect moniker. Thanks again, Randy

7. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

school cop, You can,reo and fiocchi are larger and you can not go back to reg primers after useing them unless you have a super sizer and deprime them and run them through to shrink the primer posket.

8. Schoolcop

Schoolcop Active Member

Thanks Limpy I appreciate it.

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Thanks for the chart; very informative. BT-100dc

10. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

I appreciate the chart. It's nice to have everything in one place to compare. However, it does not mention the taper most primers have. Nobel Sport seem to have the most taper meaning they get larger closer to the flange than the others making them tighter when seated than all the others except Rio, which push in tighter all the way in. And Remington primers have virtually no taper, and with their generous radius load smoother than most others. You don't mention what type of hull you are reloading, i.e. paper or plastic. If you are loading paper it is better to increase primer diameter with each reload so Fiocchi would be my choice between the two options. If you are loading plastic I have found it makes little difference. Plastic has a memory, and since you were loading one of the smaller OD primers to begin with, CCI or Fiocchi would both work. - Mark

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

grntitan,

Thanks for that.

Now I understand why my 28 gauge Estate hulls (Federal primers - 0.242) DON'T like the Winchester primers I reload them with (0.236).

Size does matter...

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

School cop,

Yes you can go with the CCI primers. I think where the issue with certain european primers came from had more to do with the higher peak pressures that were generated with some loads as opposed to the primer being oversized to begin with. You will know if your hulls have been damaged in pocket area if you can press a new primer in just using finger pressure. If so its time to toss em and get new ones. This can and does occr even if you don't switch primers.

Good luck with your loading.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Looks like it's an excellent idea to stay away from Rios and probably Fiocchi. (or use them exclusively). ;-)

Thanks for the chart, grntitan.

Bob Falfa