1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Size

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I can't find the link on primer size. Which of the cheaper primers is closest to the Remington or Winchester primer size? Thanks

2. locdoc

locdoc Member

Trapshooting USA had an article in issue # 4 page 50 or 51 that covered this item. Click on above link.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I can't seem to tell much difference when loading Cheddite primers vs Feds or Wins.

4. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Thanks Doug, just what I needed.

5. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

I have loaded Cheddite primers for years, thousands of them, and all that time I kept hearing about "they're larger than Rem, Win, etc. and will ruin your hulls," which is all BS. When it says 209 Primer on the box it means that it is the same nominal size as any other 209 primer; just like when it says 12 gauge on the box of shells, you know what gun it fits. The same size does not mean they are the same strength, however, so you must stay with the published recipes for each primer. Over the years, I have saved hundreds of $ by not being mislead by the size malarkey. RM

6. psfive

psfive Member

I am with Bertmuss, I can not tell any difference in size. I have put my calipers on what I use (Nobel Sport) Remington, Winchester and Federal primers. There was no size difference that I could find. The amount of energy produced that is a different story. Paul in Nebraska

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'll take Cheddite or Winchesters any day over Remingtons. My MEC just doesn't like Rems.

8. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

The only primers I have noticed any difference in were Fiocchi. I think they have less of a taper and don't go in as easy.

9. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I agree with Bert and Dave. I primarily reload the old style AA's and STS's/Nitros. I'd been pretty much a true and blue Winchester Primer guy for years (will continue) but, when we went into that primer shortage and crisis I tried the Cheddites and I can interchange them with no problems. Not only that, they feed the best of all primers in my two MEC 9000G's. Where I buy my supplies the price is right at $23.00 a 1000 and gets better if you buy 5000 case. No squibs, no fail to fires. I shoot all winter long here in Penna. and it gets colder than a well diggers ass. I havn't found that to be an issue. I have seen guy recently have Winny issues. I suspect that Steel base hulls will create more of an issue with different primers because steel will retain a memory unlike brass. I've seen a primer size comparison chart on Shotgunworld.com you should have no problems finding it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.