1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer shelf life?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

I was thinking of stocking up on STS209 primers, what type of shelf life if any? Thanks, gjmen

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

It could be many many decades if stored in a cool dry area. I have some 1905 303 loaded with cordite and they still go off.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I'm still using Win 209's from 1990. The ones that were all copper. Stored them in plastic containers, keep them in a closet. Wayne

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Forever. HMB

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I repectfully disagree.. While I still shoot some UTAH 42 30-06 with a hangfire now and then.. and some 12 gauge paper shells from the 60's I reloaded still shot fine.. I once had 20,000 Nobel primers that were flawless the first year.. but the following season were NOTHING but problems..They were stored along side my Winchester,Federal,and Remington primers what were.. and still going fine.. To this day.. I have no clue why they started producing mis and hang fires.. There were no power outtages,hurricanes,leaks..or anything else that invaded the locker where they are kept. Every other primer was still fine.. rifles,shotgun and pistol..
    I do not have an answer here.. but I will tell you I make it a point to shoot the oldest primers first now... All Good.. Mike

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I hope forever.. I have had some seems like forever and like one of the post obove.. they still go BOOM.

Old saying is to keep your powder dry.. that goes for primers also.

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Just like powder keep out of extreme heat.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I've always keep both my powder and primers dry.. and about 70 degrees..in a climate controled enviroment.. I still can't explain the 20,000 Nobel primers..

9. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Last year I loaded and shot some shells with CCI 109 primers that had been purchased in 1989 and all went off with a bang. I keep my primers stored in a 20mm military shell box that is air tight. I use military-type ammo boxes of all sizes and never had any issues with primers even after 20 plus years in storage. Darrell

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your Nobel primers were probably contaminated by a petroleum based product, possibly when they were manufactured, and slowly deteriorated. HMB

11. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Back in the 1960s I bought some Alcan primed hulls. Loaded and shot all the 2 3/4 hulls but still have a few 3 inch primed hulls. Bout twice a year I will put one in a gun and shoot it. So far they have all shot.....Stroker

12. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

have some rem from 1960s with open flash hole that have "gone soft" but the alcans with the painted tops (by Fiocchi) were superb so air and moisture play.

regards

13. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

HMB..It appears logical..as I never unwrapped the large box they were shipped in from Gamaiel.. just opened one end of the heavy cardboard tube they came in..and 3 were left untouched.. They go in my vented blast cabinet.. that if there were an explosion of primers.. it would exit outside and cause no harm.. The vent is plugged with waxed cardboard so no moisture can enter.. the container is kept at 70 degrees.. Gamaiel would not take them back.. or even help me with Nobel.. Nobel disowned them.. I lost over $300 worth of primers at that time..
    How do you think the oil got there???? I do not see any oil in the manufacturing process??? I encourage any and all thoughts.. Wish I'd kept them...maybe someone could find the true answer.. All Good.. Mike

14. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

You guy's are scareing me!!! I bought 25,000 nobel primers thru Jerry's Sport Center 2 years ago because they were the cheapest and supposedly most reliable primer out there at the time! I hope I don't have the problems that are mentioned above. PJ

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I am using Winchester 209 primers from the the early 60's according to the batch number from Winchester. Well kept and all so far have functioned properly. I have shot 8,000+ so far.

Keep them dry and they should be fine.

Rock

Jim

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I bought 5000 of them 3 years ago.. Every year I shoot a few hundred of them.. So far.. no new problems.. But if I had one.. its good to know the vendor and the maker are as useless as tits on a bull..

17. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Give me a napkin.. just spit my drink all over the keyboard!!!! Good one PBB

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Your guess is as good as mine. Could be as simple as some employee lubricating a packing machine with a spray can of WD-40. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.