1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer shelf life

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rtchman, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtchman

rtchman TS Member

I have read about the shelf life of powder if stored properly, but what about the shelf life of primers. Can anyone give some advice to this subject. Also need a good 7/8 oz. reload using Win. AA old style hulls and either a Win. 209 primer or Fiochi primer that goes out in the area of about 1340 fps. I usually use Red Dot or if Promo is used that would work to.

2. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I have been loading Win209 primers and F209 primers that I purchased in the early 70's. Still shoot fine. FD

3. johnpe

johnpe Member

If the primers are stored at a reasonable temperature and humidity, they should last a very long time. I have some ammunition loaded in 1964 that shoots as well now as then. I also have some odd size Berdan primers for a 9.3 x 72R that I purchased in 1968. I don't know how old they were then. They still perform as new. At least chronographed velocities have not changed with the same load. Then, there are the old Alcan primers. I don't know when I got them, but they are still OK.

Johnpe

4. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

The usual advice is, avoid heat & moisture. A few years ago I was given a bag of a few dozen old waterfowl shells, that were rusty, corroded, cruddy, and clearly of various loads. They looked like they'd spent many a day in the bottom of boats. I cut them all open one day, out of curiousity, and discarded the components (most powder was matted & lumpy.) I assumed the primers were all bad, but out of curiosity squirted WD-40 into all the hulls & set them aside upright for a week or 2. I then fired the primers. All but 5 or 6 fired. You could easily duplicate this. I know people who worry about fingerprints damaging a primer. Not me, not anymore. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.