1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primer seating problems with P-W 900

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

On my 900 410 machine I am getting about 1 in 10 high primers. Occurs in STS and AAcf hulls. 8 of 10 are just right 1 tinny tiny bit high, others are up .40 or so.

Any ideas? Thought of raising primer post but why the normal ones if post needs raising?

2. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

I would occasionally have this problem on by 800 plus loading 20 ga. I found when I switched to Winchester primers it stopped.

3. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The main reason for occasional high primers in a P/W is the hull is not being fully seated in the die at the first station. When a tight primer pocket is encountered the hull moves deeper into the die and the primer ends up high.

You need to be sure the hulls are fully seated in the die at station one. The best way to do this is to seat just one hull with the other seven dies empty. Keep raising the seating post until the loader is stopping on the seating post and there is a gap at the stop pad in the back of the loader. Then lower the seating post until the stop pad just makes contact. Then set the primer seating depth.

Jim Skeel<br>P/W Dealer/Distributor

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

The reason for the occasional high primer is the shape of the Rem primer pocket. It is shaped to accept Rem primers. Non Rem primers have to push plastic out of the way to seat fully. Some hulls will not yield and result in a high primer. There is no adjustment for this problem. Raising the primer post is not a cure, primers will be set too deep. Look up into the primer pocket , it isn't a cylinder shaped hole.

5. blaster

blaster Member

Make sure that the rod seating the primer isn't bent.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try some CCI primers and see if the problem goes away. HMB

7. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

A big thank you to Jim Skeel! You sparked my thought process. I recently hooked the 410 up to hydraulics, Went to check hull seating and realized the machine was about 30 thous off the index pad. Lowered cylinder stop problem solved.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Besides improper adjustment and the lack of support the PW press gives to the primer hole, there are a couple other impediments to seating NS (and other) primers in once fired Remington hulls:

The Remington primer is comparatively short and has a much rounder nose than other primers. The plastic of the primer pocket is shaped to match the shape of the primer.

The NS primer is slightly larger in diameter than the Rem primer (problem 1), longer than the Rem primer (problem 2) and has a much squarer nose than the Rem primer (problem 3). As the saying goes..."It's tough to shove a long, fat, square primer into a short, narrow, rounded hole" and that's what happens with NS primers in Remington hulls. <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

There are a few other approaches to a fix but you have apparently found yours.

Keller

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Excellent response Keller.

I have never much luck with NS.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.