1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primer questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

just go back from the Grand. Great time
    Here is my question?
    Win, Fed, and Rem primers cost out of sight. About $190.00
    Others in the $108.00 to $125.00 price range .
    So for the difference I can get 3 bags of shot

Questions
    is a Chedite(sp), Noble, Fiocchi primers equal to what???
    loading manual of alliant and hodgdon lacking on data for these.

Also lacking on Versilite data.

Any one with help?

thanks
    Mike t

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Noble primers are the Europian size...just slightly bigger than ours and will enlarge your primer pockets.

I use Cheddites just as if they were Winchesters.

Fioccis are good primers also in the Winchester range....but I got soured on them when I bought a sleeve (5000) and they had a bunch of european sized primers mixed in.

Nothing as much fun as when loaded a 2nd time the primer falls out as they get kicked out of my PW.

3. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

I've been using cheddite's for the last two years and about 15,000 shells. I read an article some time ago that equated the cheddite to the winchester, while rating all of the major primers and how they effect fps and psi. I've never had a bad one. The Nobles and Fiocci are both larger, which will limit your ability to go back to the smaller primer. I think that cheddite's are available for about 115.00/5,000.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

All three primers are different than any other primer, except for the Nobel Sport using Hodgdon Data. They claim it can be safely substituted wherever a Winchester W209 is indicated. There is some data for these primers, but it is somewhat limited. The plan is to start with loads that produce low pressures with a standard primer and make substitutions accordingly. Some common sense and conservative practices can go a long way. Out of the three you mentioned, I would prefer the Cheddite. Some people have reported firing pin issues with the Cheddites. I have loaded many thousands of them without any trouble whatsoever, except finding more of them. The Fiocchi 616 primers have been problematic in colder weather with some powders in many loads. I would use them for practice loads, but only in warmer weather. They are NOT oversized, but they are not as tapered as a standard US 209 primer and may give the impression of enlarging the primer pockets. There is another Fiocchi primer, the 615, that IS oversized. They are not usually available in the US, but have been known to show up on occasion. The Nobel Sports ARE oversized and will enlarge the primer pockets in standard hulls. They are OK for the European hulls that are originally loaded with oversized primers. I don't use the Nobel Sports, since I had some inconsistencies with them, especially in colder weather.

Red Versalite Data is available from the usual suspects. There isn't as much as there would be for the major manufacturers, but if you look hard enough, you can find a decent load using them. If you need help, try calling Kevin Lewis at Downrange Manufacturing.

When in doubt, look hard for published data and ask the powder or other component manufacturers for recommendations.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- You can save 30-40 cents a box by using cheaper primers. I would rather pay the extra money and use a primer that was specifically designed for the hull and load I am using.

I am running a little low on primers now. My plan is to buy 5,000 Winchester primers to get me through the Winter and hope the price is lower next Spring.

Pat Ireland

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

We're paying $135 - $140 per 5k for Federal 209A in Delaware.

Whomever was charging $190 was trying to gouge the buyer.

There are better deals to had, just got to shop around.

Curt

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I just paid $149.99 for 5000 Win 209 at Grafs & Sons. Added powder to the shipment to get it all under one hazmat fee. The quoted price at Grafs includes shipping.

I was on backorder for 45 days for the primers, give or take.

8. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Interesting Joe. I just went to Graf and Sons website and they show "out of stock" for Winchester W209 primers.

Maybe they are only filling their back orders and then they'll raise the price?
    Every other place I've seen that sells them has raised their prices. And I can name about 4 that have done it, some by more than 25%.

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

grnberetcj, hate to break this to you but $140 for Federal is gouging the buyer. $150 for Win is gouging the buyer. I am having good luck with the European primers for $20-$40 less. Also hulls don't last long enough to be worried about the oversize primer issue, throw em away. For the price difference I ain't going back to Win anyway.

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Your correct on Grafs only filling backorders.

When on the phone to confirm if I still wanted the order, I asked if I could add another 5,000 primers.

The lady told me she had 1,000 backorders to fill and it was not possible.

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I've loaded 10,000 chedites without one ftf.....just getting done with 5,000 winchesters and have had several ftf's......in my book the chedites are a better primer, just bought another 5,000.

tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.