1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bassetguy, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassetguy

bassetguy TS Member

Almost impossible to buy reloading components here in NJ. I normally load CCI or Win 209's. I was to procure a small quantity of Federal 209A's. Are they hotter that the other two mentioned in this post?

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

In the Lyman 5th edition with one specific target load they tested, the Federal 209A produced pressure at 138% of the pressure produced by the CCI 209.

Please check your powder manufacturer for loading data. There is lots of data available for the Fed 209A.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

They are hotter than the Win. 209's but CCI puts out a 209 and a 209 mag primer. Just be careful with the two CCI's. What part of Jersey are you? Close to PA at all? You might need a day trip over here to load up.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Be sure to use reliable published data for the exact components you are using. A change in primers can cause a dangerous change in pressures. If there is any question about a load, be sure to contact the powder manufacturer or other component manufacturers. The Federal 209A is known to produce higher pressures than some other primers in many loads. Primers can affect different loads differently. They can increase pressures drastically in one instance or have litte effect in another. Without pressure testing equipment, it's a crapshoot to swap them around without data to support it.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Was cleaning the basement and found a sleeve of CCI primers, on the package it says Remington 157 size. They are a loose fit in a standard STS or AA Hulls. Any idea what hull they were made for? HMB

6. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Most of Remington hulls, and some other brands as well, at one time years back used a smaller primer than is currently used. Those primers were usually marked either 57 or 157.

7. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Remington hulls from back around 1980 or before took size 57 primers. I am not sure about the 157's but I think they were the same size. The old green Sure Shot shells took these and some others. You can also use them in most inline muzzle loaders that take 209 size primers because the piece that holds the primer normally is tight enough to hold them. Remington also made size 97 primers but they are the same size as 209 size primers.

8. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

hmb, the lod Rem All Americans and Shur Shot hulls took them I believe. The RXP hull which debut around 72 used the 97 size/style.

I also believe (here goes the memory thingy again) that the difference between 57 and 157 was a covered flash hole (the 157 having it).

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Why worry about supplies in NJ. I order everything online from Recobs target shop in Wisconsin. Greta service and prices and almost always have it in stock

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Thank you. HMB

11. bakergun

bakergun TS Member

bassetguy
    were do you live in jersey I am in south jersey I get all I need mybe I can help you.
    Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.