1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Question.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goosedowner, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I'm loading 16.5gr of Promo powder and cheddite primers and 1oz shot in a SO wad now. This load makes for a nice soft shooting load but I'm not really happy with my breaks. The only info I can find for Fed hulls and red dot or promo powder and the SO wad calls for Fed primers.
    How can I translate the info to cheddites??
    I had 10,000 cheddites so please don't suggest switching over to Federal primers.

Thanks

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You can't translate the data from Federal primers to Cheddite primers. But in looking at the Alliant online data for Red Dot, Federal hulls and primers and 1 oz of shot, I'm seeing that the lowest powder drop weight is 18 grains.

Keller

3. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I know it's not the primer. I'm going to up the weight of the powder charge and I would like to be close on pressure and velocity.

4. Unknown1

Re-read my post. The Alliant data for 1 oz shot, GMedal hulls, S0 wads and Red Dot powder starts with powder drops at 18 grains. If you're only dropping 16.5 grains that may be part of the problem: <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Start with that change knowing that the pressure and velocity will be a bit lower with Cheds than with Federals. Then if you don't like that and you're loading for 1200 fps velocity, increase the powder drop by 1/2 grain and see how that effects the recoil.

Keller

5. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

When I set the loader up I thought the powder drop was 17.5gr. I had read in the past that Cheddites compared to Win primers but that you could back off a 1/2gr and still have the same velocity so I knew I was in the ball park.
    Today I rechecked the powder and it dropped 16.5gr with a freshly calibrated scale so I decided to up the powder charge. The bushing I grabbed should drop 19grs and I was wondering if I use the cheddite primer if the velocity will still be between 1,200 and 1,250 and the pressure will be between 8,300 and 9,300??

6. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

Goose

That is probably a good assumption (but you know about assumptions). Comparing data generally shows that magnum or the hotter primers like Federals raise pressure, but don't much affect velocity. At roughly 9000psi, I wouldn't personally have any misgivings about swapping any primer in that recipe. Primers can have an affect on how clean the charge burns, if that matters to you.

For what it's worth, I have loaded a ton of these same components, except with Top Gun hulls, and the bushing chosen throws 17.7gr Promo (I got 24lbs of the same lot). It is an economical and very effective 1oz load, and easy on the shoulder.

K

7. 87AA

87AA TS Member

BUY AMERICAN!!!

8. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

For what it is worth, I use the following with Federal primers: Fed Gold Medal Hull, Fed Primer, 19.5 grains of Green Dot, CB 6100 wad. Nice load!

9. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

Thanks Kevin, I'm using top gun hulls as well. FYI, Down range clams that top gun hulls will have 1000 psi less that gold metals.

10. Unknown1

<I><blockquote>"The bushing I grabbed should drop 19grs and I was wondering if I use the cheddite primer if the velocity will still be between 1,200 and 1,250 and the pressure will be between 8,300 and 9,300??</blockquote></I>I would think you would have a good chance with the velocity. I have no idea what the pressure will do...too many variables. Higher pressure is better than lower pressure because it aids the combustion of the powder and gives more consistent results shell to shell.

Keller

11. stilltrying

stilltrying Member

I have used Cheddite primers and I like them a lot. Pay a few dollars more and get red dot. Promo is a blend of two different powders and it is almost impossible to throw the same weight charge no matter how much you shake the can. It is cheaper for that reason.

12. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Goose, never mind what a bush " should drop", get a set of scales and see what it ACTUALLY drops , over a few drops !!!

13. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

lytnin1, I do use scales. I ended up having one bushing that threw 17.5gr and one that threw 18.6gr. I loaded up some shells with both and I'll take them to practice next time I go and see which one I like best. I also bought two more bushing that should hit right in between what I have now.

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

I use cheddite,1oz.,load,in federals,,18.5 green dot..works fine.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.