1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Terribletwins, Feb 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terribletwins

Terribletwins Member

Hi,
    Primer performance question..is there any noticeable difference / advantage for one manufacture over another? Reason I am asking is there seems to be a reasonable cost differential between the different brands e.g. Fiocchi 616 are 113$ for 5000 vs 130 for CCI, 143 for Winchester & 150 for remingtons.

Potential reload recipe (still trying to work out whether I should reload or not) would be Promo powder, gunclub hulls, DR wads & the relevant primer...all the primers quoted above are shown as a viable option for the above reciepe according to the Alliant handbook.

Thanks

David

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Besides the "hottness" of the primer, the material selection is different between them. For example, Winchester primers have a steel body with a brass cap. Remingtons are all brass. Fiocchi's are all steel if I recall. Some guns don't get along with the all steel primers. I like to keep to the all brass Remingtons myself, but in general I load the same brand primer as the hulls that I am loading.

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm with Avaldes on Rem. primers (have used others) they just seem more consistent & I have a SBT that doesn't like anything but Rem., unfortunately Rems. are a little more $$. The GC hull like most promo stuff has a steel head plated with brass or zinc and some guns don't like steel heads, but those G.C.s do load forever & are usually easy to get as many just shoot and toss-em. I personally did not have good luck with D.R. products, soft feeling--odd sounding so I use C.B. or Rem. wads. Currently using mostly STSs, some GCs-- Rem. primers--15.5-16gr. Promo--pink CB clone or TGT--7\8oz. shot, soft shooting and breaks targets just fine, although you do not have as much fringe so you do have to be on-em pretty well, when you do your part right they are just as dead as with 1&1\8. For me reloading is a relaxing hobby. Enjoy--Ross Puls

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The magnet test showed that Remington primers are indeed brass plated steel.

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Gone through 15,000 Fiocchi 616 primers, not one misfire.

The only problem is reloading data leans more to CCI, Winchester and Federal primers.

Also once you use a 616 in any hull, you can't go back and put anyone else's primer in that hull. They will fall out.

But that all I shoot so its no big deal.

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

If you have a reloader that supports the back of the base when the primer is being installed, that makes using non-Remington primers a better situation. Remington primer pockets have a rounded corner and primers with a more square radius will not always fully seat, particularly in steel-based Gun Clubs. I have a Ponsness Warren and have high primer issues unless I use Remingtons, particularly on the 1st reload. Also, be aware that some primers are a bit wider and some have observed that once the pocket's diameter has stretched, it may not hold a "normal" primer.

WNCRob

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

David, like Alliant said, they are interchangeable as far as function and GC hulls will digest them about equally ... depending on the loader, as mentioned above.

If you have a MEC, even that issue disappears.

go as cheap as you can.

8. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I'm getting grouchy in my old age, so I use USA-made stuff when I can. I've switched from 700X (foreign-made) to Red Dot (USA) after 40 years with the former...and I stick with USA-made primers.

With the differences you quote (and using my failing brain-only math), Looks like when I shoot a 300-target event, My Winchester primers add something like $1.90 to the day's costs over Fiocchi.

9. fly

fly Active Member

shoot cheap shells or cheap primers, and watch what happens to your firing pins!

10. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Fioochi, promo, claybuster in rem sts or g/c No better. I will look at winchester I too like to buy american products.

11. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

But when you purchased those primers, Denny, you laid down something like $50 extra for the Winchester primers. I am also getting crouchy and I "go as cheap as you can"

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I haven't taken a (used) primer apart for many years so maybe they all have steel cups now but I'm pretty sure they all have a steel anvil and so will be picked up by a magnet. But I seem to remember rust around the primer pocket on what I thought were once fired STSs acquired on 1 of my dumpster diving expeditions. Either way I've had better luck with Rems. Ross Puls

13. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Johnny, by the prices he quoted, I laid down an extra $30 for several months worth of shooting. Maybe it's just me, but I'm making an effort to support USA-made stuff WHEN I CAN. (I'm not a wild-eyed zealot about it :)

I haven't shot as much lately as in the past, but probably shot 5000 targets in 2011. For what gas, shells, targets, and equipment cost me, that extra $30 for the year was worth it knowing I supported American workers.

But that's just me, like I said. If I can't afford an extra dime a box, I've got no business shooting trap.

14. Kerz

Kerz Member

The Literalist, I like your thinking!
    Vic

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I like the RIO Primers, but once you load w/them you are stuck using them, they are larger in Dia.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I notice several people berating Fiocchi as a foreign primer. Since when is Springfield, MO not in the USA? Fiocchi makes/or made two different primers, the 615 and the 616. One is slightly larger than Fed., Win, Rem. the other is about the same as those three. Don't know which is which. If you're buying over the counter take a mic and check.

All primers are steel with the exception of the caps of Fed, Win and Rem and CCI. Up until recently I shot 25k reloads per year using Ched.(all steel) since they've been marketed in the US. Never a firing pin issue attributable to the primers in any of my 9 trap guns. Alf., TM-1, 90-T, Citori, M31TC, BT99, 1100, 870, M12 and A303.

Buz

17. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I just shoot Winchesters for the most part, If the store is out of Winchesters, I usually go with CCI. No problems, so I don't try to change anything.

18. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Alliant recommneded Cheditte primers to me when the supply of Winchester's dried up. Chedittes work great and cost is reasonable. They load and perfrom just like Winchester's at a lot less $$'s. Only problem,they are French made. Fred

19. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have had nothing but dud after dud with Remington primers. I load nothing but Win 209 and never had a dud one out of 15,000.

20. plux001

plux001 Member

Agreed on Remington duds...just too many. Switched to Winchester and no ftf in last 10,000 rounds. To be fair, also had some ftf's with Federal.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.