1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mx8dave, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

IMR loads for PB powder are listed in their information as being loaded by Fiocchi primer # 617,My distributor carries #616 ,Can someone tell me the difference,,thank you D.Lang ,,mx8dave

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Your question spiked my curiosity, so I checked on Fiocchi's website for the answer. As it turns out, only the #616 primer is listed. It is described as "209 size," so I'm GUESSING that the #617 was a different size and may no longer be made.

Ed

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The 617 is a relatively new product and is reported to be hotter than the 616...more like a Fed 209A. Ballistics Products is selling 12 ga. 3½" primed Fiocchi hulls that contain the 617 primer and BP describes them as a "magnum" primer.

Link to Ballistics Products catalog page

Link to Google Docs article by Tom Ceretto (see para.4) <br>[This article may be a year or two old but that has no effect on the information.]

MK

4. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Thank you ,,Hopefuuly we'll get some soon ,but ,I have 15,000 616's to use up first ,,Mx8Dave

5. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

News to me. Fiocchi only has the 616 on their price sheets and no longer offer primered hulls anymore or plain hulls. I have 20,000 616 setting on my desk. Tom

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check with Hodgdon and Alliant, since it appears they have done some testing. Check with Fiocchi also, since they manufacture them, There was a #615, which was slightly over sized and the the #616. The #617 has shown up in some areas and is supposed to be a new primer. No quessing about loading data. Get it from the source, powder or primer.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The Hodgdon data base lists loads for the 617 primers for both AA and Remington hulls in both 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.