1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Question...Cheddite or CCI ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Concrete200, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

I ordered a 5000 pack of Cheddite primers earlier this week and when my package arrived they had mistakenly put in CCI primers.

My question is this - Are they about the same type as far as quality or is the CCI better or worse...The reason I ask is they have offered to let me keep them or they will send me the Cheddite's and I return the CCI's next week. The CCI's price out at about $15 more than the Cheddite's. I really need to reload this weekend and I don't want to wait another week unless the Cheddite's are really a better primer...

Thoughts???

jld1494 thanked this.
  2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have never been able to tell any difference.. just keep em..

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'll second blkclouds answer, plus you can find data for CCIs easier. Just make sure WHICH CCI they sent you as CCI sells 3 different ones--an SC & a std 209 & a 209M and there is a difference in chamber pressures generated so if you are close to the high end the 209M could put you over the recommended pressures. CHECK your powder manual for your component data. Good Luck --Ross Puls

4. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

I'll second the check the Data for the ones they sent you those CCI 209M's are hot like fed 209A's Jerry

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

CCI is a much better quality primer. You got a good deal ... keep them and enjoy your good fortune.

6. porky

porky TS Member

I have found that the CCI's are not as hot as a cheddite. Cheddites to me are more like Winchesters used to be and the CCI's are like the Remingtons.

7. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Keep the CCI's but make sure they aren't CCIM's. The M's will push your pressures way up if you don't back off the powder drop.

8. Concrete200

Concrete200 Member

Thanks for all the help. I looked and they are regular 209 primers. I just ran out of my Remington primers so I am going to research the CCI's against Rem's on pressure for my load (which is a light load of 17.3 grains of 700x in a Gun Club hull pushing 1 1/8 oz).

Once again, Thanks for all the help...Love this Web Site...me and my boys are getting addicted to the sport and all this info is tremendous...Dennis

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I much prefer the Cheditte primer -- more like the AA o performance and they do not expand the primer pcoket. Fred

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

CCI209 primers worked flawlessly for me since I started using them many years ago. I have about twenty five different types of shotshell primers on hand. Many are not made anymore and are just on the shelf for decoration. I've never had an issue with the CCI209 or CCI209M in any load I used them in. The CCI209M is one of my favorite "Winter" primers. Double check your data, load them, and don't look back. Now to the details of your load. Most combinations for 1 1/8oz using 17+ grains of 700-X would not be considered light, regarding pressures. If the load develops over 10,000 psi, I will either change it so it is, or use a different load. If you can't find published data, call Hodgdon and get their recommendation. I have loaded many thousands using CCI 209 and 109 primers over the years. I usually used one bushing size lower, which gave me about 16.6 or 16.7 grains. Some loads using over 17.0 grains were over 10,000 PSI, which I consider my upper limit for target loads. I like to have a little headroom for variations. Somewhere I had a few Dupont/IMR data books, but can't find them right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

700 x with cheddite primers

cheddite vs cci 109