1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer power

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mx8dave, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

In looking for PB receipes the only primers listed were Remington,wincester,and federal.Where would fiochhi fall in line???Power and pressure wise???? D. Lang mx8Dave

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Powders don't all react to a specific primer in the same way. The problem with your question is that you'll get answers from the "Fiocchi = Winchester" bunch who probably don't have any data about how PB powder specifically reacts to Fiocchi primers. I don't either which is why I'd stay with published data.

MK

3. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

so maybe .I didn't word this question tcorrectly for what I want to know ,,,If I'm loading remington sts cases ,,20gr PB,,windjammer wads ,,one and one/ eight onces shot ,,,If I substitude fiochii primers what difference will it make? the winchester load shows 6500 lbs of pressure and 1100 fps ,, Mx8Dave

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You asked the question correctly and I answered the question you asked. It's only a guess on anyone's part about how PB powder will respond to Fiocchi primers. I've seen some data where seemingly normal component combinations did some really weird things.

"The Winchester load shows 6500 psi and 1100 fps" because that combination was tested. The combination you want to try has no published data for it so anyone who wants to tell you that "it'll be fine, just load it and shoot it" is only guessing unless they've already had it tested to see what it does. If they haven't they know as much about it as you do.

If you want the most objective input you'll get on the subject I suggest you call IMR, the powder company and ask them:

<blockquote><I>If you have a safety problem or concern - DO NOT EMAIL - CALL US DIRECTLY 7:00am to 5:30pm Central Monday-Thursday : 913-362-9455</i></blockquote>

MK

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The best way to find that out is to send out some of your loaded shells for pressure and velocity testing. Anything else is just a wild assed guess. Admittedly, the starting load is low enough that I don't think a primer substitution as you intend to do would put you way over the top. You just really don't know exactly what a combination of components will do until it's been properly tested.

If you are looking for permission to try it, look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have enough data to go on. Most importantly, would it be SAFE? Who knows how well it would work, since I've had some dismal loads using the Fiocchi primers in cold weather. They sort of worked OK in warmer weather. Using different combinations of powders/wads/hulls resulted in better or worse results. It's a crap shoot. I'd stick with what you know and have data for, or pony up a little and do some testing. At least some chronograph work at different temperatures for consistency.

Calling Hodgdon might also shed a little light on the matter, "IF" they have some valid test data to work with. If not, they are doing a S.W.A.G. as well.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

mx8dave , For the weenie load you listed it won't make any real difference. You need more pressure anyway.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would not use a load that is not published in a reliable reloading manual. I also would not use a load that only generated 6500 PSI chamber pressure (described above). That seems too light to result in consistent ignition of the powder.

Pat Ireland

8. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

A couple gents above have addressed the low pressures associated with your loading preference and the likelyhood of a substitute primer not causing any negative high end results. The problem is the primer substitution may cause even further reduced pressures which could cause negative results!

Why do you want to combine ingredients for such a low pressure reading? Do you realize the weather factor influences a load such as yours can display?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.