1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer most similar to STS?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jun 24, 2013.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

What primer, foreign or domestic, would be most similar to STS in terms of "hotness"? I liked using STS primers, but won't be spending $45+/1k for them any time soon.

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

CCI 209M is a good fit for many loads!!

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Alliant lists many very safe loads with Remington cases and their powders. They also fit the cases much better than the others!!

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

skeet man, W209 primers are close to the STS209 in brisance. With some powders they are a little hotter, but not much. If you are reloading Remington hulls, the W209 will fit perfectly. The step down in diameter on the upper part of the primer allows it to seat with normal pressure.

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

It really depends on your load and the pressure it is creating. If it is a low pressure target load, then most primers will substitute without issues. The two that are significantly hotter are Fed 209A and CCI 209M. If you pushing the pressure envelope, then it is more critical that you don't substitute primers without a known recipe. I have interchanged Rem, Winchester, CCI, Fiocchi, and old Federals in my target loads, using 1 oz of shot and Clay Dot. JMO, Mark

6. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

I agree with the Wolf primers. Reasonable in cost. Also I believe a shooter o once said he has interchanged primers for years without any reasonable variance in pressure. ed

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

Are the Wolf primers oversized like Nobel & Cheddite?

8. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Cheddite primers. $23 per 1000 at my club. Alliant has some recipes on their site just not all of the different configs like the do for rem and win primers. But they can be used just like a win 209 per Ben at Alliant .

9. trapperwads

trapperwads Well-Known Member

Wolf primers are the same diameter as Win and Rem.

10. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

This information is published in the Lyman 5th Edition shotshell manual, page 45.

[​IMG]

11. lancelot

lancelot Member

It would appear that something has changed since the 5th edition, Lyman, manual. I saw, in Trapshooting USA I believe, that the Remington primer is now hotter than the Win. 209. Also the Fiocchi and Cheddite were less hot and appeared to be safe substitutes for the Remington.

Ron Ireland

12. Oregunner

It's not as straight forward as that. It depends on the interaction of all the components, including hull choice, wad, and powder choice and amount. Mark

13. revbook

revbook Member

The Lyman chart above was very helpful, but, does anyone know where Cheddite primers fall on that chart?

Don in PA

14. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Apparently Remington did make a 209 at one time as referenced by Alliant, and those were supposedly hotter than the present 209P (the Remington 209P also interchanges with the Rem 97* according to the Alliant reloader guide.

Actually I wonder if the referemce to the hotter Remington 209 may have been the Remington 209T which were made for a short time back in the 70's or early 80's.

15. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Keller. I still have Bens email telling me cheddites = win209s. There tables are limited to what they actually test on site. As info I drop 16 grns of promo. Cb1100 wads with 1 oz using sts hulls. Was dropping 17.2 grains (1175 fps) but noticed no difference dropping less on 16-20 yds. Any further back I use the 17.2 drops. Hits them at 27 no problem. But there are only a few events I shoot in where im at 27. So I mainly drop 16 grns. 1120 fps in case u want to know. .

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Avaldes published a wonderful size comparison chart awhile back that gave the physical primer measurements in a great layout. I used it to select the Winchester 209 to replace Rem for use in my STS hulls. They are a little hotter and resolved the cold weather blooper issue with Green Dot & Am. Select, so it was a win - win for me. On my PW 800+ the first time seating required some attention; but now they work just fine. For me, it was a good choice. With some luck Avaldes will post the chart again.

best... mike

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

18. APrice

APrice Active Member

The size comparison charts I have seen don't seem to hold up for me. I've found out the hard way on Cheddite and Nobelsport. Can't go back to "regular" (Win., Fed, Rem) after using them. Just wondering about Wolf.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use Rio Primers for everything, Cheaper and have not had a mis-fire w/them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

20. Oregunner

Here is a pic of some in the discussion.

[​IMG]

Search tags for this page

209 primer comparison chart

shotshell primer comparison chart