1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Jam

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 514678buckeye, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 514678buckeye

514678buckeye TS Member

After the primer drops and the shells start to move to the next position my primer is very often not completely dropping and it stops everything. Most times the primer is tipped toward the next station but it does not drop into the primer seat. I have to release the arm that rotates the table from the gas cylinder and then wiggle it a little and it will then drop into the primer seat. I've polished the primer seat with a scrubbing pad and tried adjusting the nut in front that trips the table release both direction but to no avail. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance

2. 514678buckeye

514678buckeye TS Member

Sorry I forgot to mention my loader is a Mec 9000G.

3. 514678buckeye

514678buckeye TS Member

No they are Nobel primers.

4. smoke-eater

smoke-eater Member

If I am getting the right picture, sounds like your primer drop tube is not centered over the primer seat. See owners manunal, on adjusting the drop tube.
    Also, wipe the primer tray with a silicone cloth once in a while, that helps the primers to slide freely on the tray. Gary

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I don't have the answer but I have that happen sometimes too. Seems like maybe the shell plate rotates too fast and doesn't give the primer time to fully drop into it's pocket? Using Remington primers helps as they're shorter and more rounded at the nose.

6. BreakUmAll

BreakUmAll Member

Manual or Hdyrolic? Make sue the drop tube is centered. If manual, Make sure you don't let the up stroke hit too hard causing primer to bounce. Go slow and watch carefully. Make sure you arenot releasing the handle too soon and letting the press hit the top causing the primer to bounce.. Good luck

7. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

I load with Nobel Sports and Cheddites, they both do it on a 9000H. It creates a hang up of which then I have to release the arm that turns the shell table as does yours. What is the answer as I have 2-9000h loaders new and Old and they both do it. For me, yes it is aggravating at times but I just move on. Would like to hear others response but I won't spend the extra on Win-Fed-Rem primers. I try to pause at the bottom of the down stroke but it seems to still happen.

8. rdf59

rdf59 Member

I have reloaded 40,000 Noblesport primers into STS Hulls. In the first loading the NS primer "pops" into the STS hull. The reason is the NS is slightly larger than the Remington primer (or the Win Primer). Future loadings will be OK because the primer pocket is expanded.

If you load other hulls, such as Federal TG with a steel base, the primer pocket will be more difficult to expand. On your first, second or third hull in your first batch the primer pocket will give so much resistance to being expanded that your powder drop tube (which also seats your primer) may give up to the pressure of forcing the primer into the steel pocket. In that case the drop tube is forced upward through the collar that holds the tube in place. The tube will be slightly shorter and will not seat the primer fully. It will then hang up as the shell carrier tries to rotates.

You need to loosen the hex screw on the collar and pull the powder tube down to the point where it will seat the primer. In doing this you will be affecting the drop tubes ability to properly allow or stop the arm that controls the movement of your charge bar. Its not a complicated adjustment in moving the drop tube/primer set down, but it is tricky relative to its several functions.

Regarding your primer drop, it sounds like you need to move the primer drop tubes alignment ever so slightly. That is a precise adjustment also.

9. djldb6

djldb6 Member

It sounds like what you are saying is the primer is dropping in to the hole on the index table ok, but when the carriage moves forward the primer tips and gets hung up in the seating cup thereby stopping the whole thing.

Curly No-Hair is a MEC master on Shotgunworld.com. He advised me when I was having this problem with an older 9000H a few years ago that the problem was actually the table wasn't indexing quickly enough due to a tired gas cylinder (which indexes the carriage). If it isn't moving fast enough, the primer has time to topple into the seating cup instead of dropping more vertically. I replaced the gas cylinder and the problem was solved.

Dan

10. 514678buckeye

514678buckeye TS Member

I probably did not explain my problem as well as I could have. djldb6 has it exactly right. The primer drops into the carrier correctly but as he explains as it rotates(hydraulic loader)the primer top tips toward the next station before it drops into the seating die and jams the index table. It sounds as though i may need a new gas cylinder as mine is the original and has loaded 1000s of shells. Thanks again for all the suggestions !!!

11. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

The problem that is accuring is not the primer tube drop area it is the indexing area. Maybe the Gas cylinder but I would say not as it does it on both loaders, new and old. Probably the primers.

12. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'd suggest you try this. Strap or tie the handle of the loader securely all the way to the bottom of the downstroke-all the way down. Then adjust the primer tube so that it sits nearly bottomed out. Also try hesitating just before you raise the handle. It doesn't sound like the cylinder is the problem. Also get the new primer tray and mech. It's well worth it.

13. new loader

new loader Member

Make sure the primer drop tube is centered over the primer hole and is not raised too high. If you get it close, you can insert the short end of an allen wrench and bend it slightly until it gets where you want it. If no improvement, take a Dremel tool and grind off the collet petal that is next to the primer hole. If the collet snaps open too fast, it will flick the primer over.

[​IMG]

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I recently had the same problem after not having used my 9000G reloader for several weeks. It seemed that the empty shell was not coming up and out of the sizing collet (kind of dragging and tipping) and causing the primer to tip and bind as well. I took the shell carrier (plug?) out of the sizing collet and then cleaned the inside of the collet with Q-tips soaked in Rem-Oil, then put anti-sieze grease on the outside of the sizing collet. Cleaning and lubing the collet seemed to cure the problem...but replacing the gas cylinder also seems like a good idea (mine is several years old). That said, cleaning/lubing the sizing collet has solved my problem for now (I successfully reloaded a couple of hundred shells afterward with no primer tipping)....perhaps the crud collecting inside the collet was causing the rim of each empty to drag and bind the carousel as it was lifted out of the collet and tipping it. Will be interested if this helps. Best Regards, Ed

15. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Okay...so my windy description of my "fix" to my 9000G lasted one loading session; this afternoon every other empty tilted and jammed. I disconnected the mechanism from the piston to try to use it as a Grabber (manually indexing the carousel) and found the carousel was remarkably stiff/difficult to rotate. Checked for an cleaned out a few spilled pellets, but still stymied. Guess I will pull out my old Grabber from storage and await some ideas from the experts. How much is a new piston??...just found it on MEC site: $25.97 Help! Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.