1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Holes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have read on several different threads, dealing with over sized primers, that individuals have resizers that will compress the primer hole. Can someone explain how this is possible?

Pat Ireland

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=0740010

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=2301816

Here you go Pat.

3. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Pat I have one of the primer hole reconditioners above, works great!...Bill

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I can see how the Ballistic Products device works, but there is nothing like that on a reloading press that I have seen. Many posters have claimed that their press compresses the primer pocket and I don't understand how this is possible. I am directly asking about the metal part of the primer pocket and not the softer interior section.

Pat Ireland

5. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Pat I was told this by a friend and did it with my mec supersizer after using rio primers. I put win primer in and it was tight.I did not shoot it after because I load all rio's. however it was tight in the pocket. I load light loads and seem to get better powder burn with rio's. and the price is right. I will try some and see.

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Pat, I purchased elves with a couple of my reloaders as options. As you know they perform magical applications in the realm of impossible understanding. You being a learned scholar of a gentleman and all could possibly unattainable as you have to believe without question. I also don't believe they are a PW option.

7. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

In the machinist trade we would call that "ball sizing the hole". Say you ream a hole for a press fit and the hole is slightly big. We would use a steel ball of appropiate size, lay it on the top edge of the hole and wack it with a hammer. Presto, press fit. The Ballistics tool does the same thing. When you press the new primer in it will slightly open the hole back up so is maybe good for only one or two more firings but then you could ball size it again until it won't hold anymore. Seems like a lot of effort to save a hull.

Jeff Bailey

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Pat,

I'd like to have an answer to that question myself. I adjusted a SuperSizer totally out of whack trying to get it to shrink a primer hole. I got domed bases but the hole was still the same size. These folks must be using the old space-time models that warp time and shrink space.

I would call it something less than fun to sit with a thousand or so hulls and resize the primer hole in each hull with a hammer and a little punch.

MK

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jeff - Wouldn't ball sizing a primer hole set the primer too far forward to fire in most guns ?

Pat Ireland

10. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

Pat-Not if done correctly. You need a ball just a little larger than the body of the primer. You don't want to move the shoulder that the primer sets against in the case. I'm thinking a steel ball about 1/32 of an inch larger than the primer hole and a slight tap should be enough to close that hole .001 to .002 or so. That should be enough. You can get these steel bslls from MSC or similiar industrial supply outfit.

Jeff Bailey

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Jeff, if these "steel balls" were hot would this make the efficiency better?

12. fishguts

fishguts Member

I use the older MEC Case Conditioner/Re-sizer, after punching out a RIO primer I can use any other primer I want and it stays put. But this is only with WW old style compression formed cases, any others I toss after shooting.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

open primer holes for shooting blanks