1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primer going off in loader

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lostandout, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostandout

lostandout Member

any body ever have a primer go off in the primer seater.i had a cheddite go off there was no mark on the face and they wernt tight in the primer pocket

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

What type of loader? It might be possible that whatever set the primer off did not make a large dent in the cup and it could have flattened back out when the primer went off. Not sure that it could, but you never know. I had a friend that had one go off in an old Mec 650. There was a piece of shot under the primer and it was flattened and the primer was pretty much unmarked but just dished slightly. Clean your shorts and be careful. Wear eye protection.

3. lostandout

lostandout Member

clean shorts were almost needed this is a mec 650 could not find any thing in my primer seater that was the first thing i looked for

4. max trap

max trap Member

I would bet there was a piece of shot in the primer seat.

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

A sharp hard impact is required to detonate a primer. A slow crushing force will not detonate a primer. Primers can be safely crushed in a vice. I have tested that several times. A stray shot in the primer cup will usually tip the primer and result in not allowing it to seat in the hull. For a primer to go off in a press, the handle must be pushed down much faster than I can push it.

Pat Ireland

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I had a W209 go off in a 9000G a few years back.

7. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Had it happen to me too in a Grabber. I do know there was a piece of shot in the primer seat. It was flattened when I found it. Wakes you up doesn't it? I jumped back and let the handle up, dropping powder on the smoking primer. That gave me a few things to think about as well. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

Bob

8. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I know of one going off under someones foot when they either stepped on it or slid it across the floor . A few times I`ve seen reloaders come to the club and try to fire off a shell that didn`t go the first time only to see they had the primer either upside down or sideways in the hull, so none of those happened to go off while loading and as Pat stated , you must use a hard blow to ignite the primer but that makes a question of the one that was stepped on . He isn`t a fast stepper unless friction played the better part of it firing .

9. gnprts

gnprts Member

I too have had a primer go in a MEC Grabber ... Cheddite primer... No damage since the powder does not drop until the handle is on the up stroke Cause .. # 9 shot under the primer. Cheddite's

10. lostandout

lostandout Member

its nice to know im not the only one

11. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Great design on the part of MEC. The powder does not drop till the handle is released. Nobody's primers just go off without impact. I had a primer detonate in my press once and it was a lead bb had gotten under the primer somehow. My press is hydraulic and yes it does load the pants when the primer goes off. Once you realize the cause and also that no powder dropped very mixed emotions mostly relief. I called MEC and discussed with them. Best press IMHO you can buy all things considered.

Mike

12. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Great thing with the 366 is the powder drops from the next station but then again I have never had a primer go off in mine in over 25 years and I only use Chedittes .

13. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

How loud are they when they do go off??? As loud as a blackcat firecracker? Are there sparks sprayed?

All I need is something else to watch for while I'm reloading... stray shot on my primer seat--perfect!

Guy Babin

14. schutzemgud

schutzemgud TS Member

Guy I wouldn't be overly concerned. I have worn out 2 press and I am thousands into this one. It is a loud bang that is out of place so it is startling. The design of most if not all press's should avoid a powder burn taking place or lease with a MEC or a 366. I would also say it is a little wake up call to clean off the deck of the loader or at least it was in my case. I now vacuum the surfaces regularly. Doesn't take but a minute.

Mike

15. lostandout

lostandout Member

it sure makes the next 2 or 3 boxes of shells a slow process

16. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

I had a primer go off in a MEC 9000. I found a flattened shot under the primer.
    Really startled me.

Arnie

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Guy,

It's like a good sized firecracker or a .22 indoors out of a short barreled handgun. It really doesn't matter, since the description I got was more focused on the aftermath. :)

Who knows just how it happens, but it seems that many have had a stray shot pellet at the root of the cause. I believe an impact would be required to set off a primer, so maybe something hangs and then releases under spring pressure. I'm not trying any experiments.

Just make sure to wear eye protection when loading.

18. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Pat, I beg to differ about the slow crushing force not being able to detonate a 209. I had one go off on me last year. First one of any type Rifle pistol or shotgun ever. I only seat with a slow deliberate downward hand stroke on my 9000G. It was a cheddite as well. Fortunately the powder dumps on the upstroke (which I don't think is an accident of MEC design) so there was no additional fireworks display after the initial detonation.

JK

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

JK- My comment was based on my endeavor to set off a primer by crushing it in a vice. I smashed several and none went off. Several others repeated my test with the same results.

20. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I too had a primer go off 25 years ago or so with a 600 jr. as well. Of the three primers my father bought back then Win. CCI or Alcan's, I would have to guess a CCI. One #9 shot was flattened in the primer cup. I don't remember any sparks just some smoke out of the priming tube coming out of the up stroke, but I sure did wake me up. I always check the primer cup for BB's after a shot spill now and it never happened again. Glad I never had to go to the hospital and deal with the paper work. Be careful and Break-em all. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.