1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Firing While Re-Loading -- It Does Happen

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JonP, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonP

JonP Member

To All,

A shooting partner was reloading the other day in preparation for a registered shoot and had a primer fire while re-loading on a MEC Hydralic.

I am not in any way disparaging MEC! The design of MEC lets the primer mis-firing in this case not come in contact with the bushing powder charge (not to say that it could'nt migrate and ignite the whole powder bottle but, I've not ever heard this to happen)

This is about the third time I've heard of this and the first to someone I personnally know. This person stated that before reloading that he vacuumed and spun the rotodex (I think that's the correct discription) and looked in the primer seating station prior to the re-loading session to check and see if a pellet rolled in there.

All I want to do with this post is to reiterate that SH.T happens and be carefull and safety consienous.

I've personnaly been lax lately when it comes to wearing safety goggles and have now tried to make it a point to wear them and leave them on the re-loader so I don't forget.

Happy Trails,

Jon P.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have been loading a lot lately. Although I do wear my safety goggles, I have not checked for stray lead pellets. I have been very good lately about cleaning up any loose powder. After reading this, I will become more diligent. Thanks.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Has not happened to me yet, after 30+ years, about 10 years with a 9000G, even deprimed a few. I prefer to be smooth and steady; not in a rush to load as fast as I can.

A friend who cut a hole in his table and let the shell fall into a bucket under the table had a loaded shell go off. He immediately found a use for a few shot bags sewn together to creat a drop chute.

Jason

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I have had this happen to me several times in the last umpteen years, using Mec progressives, when a stray piece of shot gets down in the primer seater, it will make the primer go bang, especially with a hydraulic, but have had it happen with a hand operated as well.

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Considering the relative level of engineering controls in place, reloading is probably more dangerous to your eyes than shooting.

Always wear safety glasses!

6. Superdog1

Superdog1 TS Member

I have to admit, i have had this happen too. I reload in the basement right under my wife's favorite chair. I do not know what was louder- the primer, or her scream when it wnet off!! It was worth it though!

7. magnumfarmer

magnumfarmer TS Member

I had one go off in my MEC 650...scared the crap out of me! Thought it was just a stiff primer to seat and then BANG!!! Upon further review I discovered a stray pellet of shot had found its way into the primer seater.

8. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

I check my primer station every time before I load. I don't ever remember anyone telling me to do that but I've been rolling my own since I was 16 yrs old and that was awhile ago. Just seemed like the right thing to do. I've never had a reloading malfunction and I hope I never do. I think it would leave a brown stain on my loading chair!!!!

Steve

9. primed

primed Well-Known Member

When it happened to me, I jumped back, my foot came off the pedal and dumped powder on the smoking primer. Scared the hell out of me. Check the primer seating area often, especially after even a minor shot spill.

Bob

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I have had this happen to me once in over ten years of reloading. In my case, it was with a Spolar with hydro and I did not notice that I had a cocked primer in the cup and it ignited. Scared the crap out of me until I figured out what it was.

I'm not worried about powder igniting...outside of a closed containment it just sparkles as it burns, but having some debris from the working end of the primer get in your eye would be a very bad outcome.

On the Spolar, the primer is contained in the heavy metal of the turn table when any pressure is put on it, so I think this design is pretty safe.

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

45 years and it happened once.

12. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I had one after 25yrs of reloading and the primer is loud a hell in the room. I changed my underware and sold the 9000G and all my components.

13. In plain view

In plain view Member

I've had a total of 1. 1 is enough. Shot of lead got under the primer and when I pulled the handle all kinds of hell broke loose. Loud bang, smoke comes out and I thought for sure I was on my way to trapshooters heaven. I'm more carefull these days dealing with spilled shot. Bob

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Last year when this topic was discussed, I tried to detonate several primers by crushing them in a vice. All of them smashed but none went off. Others readers of this site duplicated my test and they got the same result I did.

When I read this thread yesterday, I designed another test. I removed the deprimer pin from my single stage MEC deprimer and put a live primer in five empty AA hulls. I placed a steel plate with a single 7.5 magnum shot held over the center of the primer hole. The shot was kept in position with super glue. I placed the primed hulls in the resizer and lowered the handle with the same force I would when loading shells. I dented all of the primers, I deformed the shot a little but I did not get any of the primers to fire.

This test does not indicate that a primer could not fire when shells are being reloaded. It does suggest that it is not easy to get a primer to fire when reloading.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.