1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer exploded while reloading

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SCL, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SCL

SCL Member

I never thought that this would happen, but heres the particulars. Mec 9000, GC hull, Nobel Sport primer. Cruising along and handle kind of hitched up. Spilled shot all over due to double clutching it, and then noticed the primer in the reprime pocket was upside down. Must have let the handle pop up or got in a hurry. Pulled it out and it looked okay, little rounding of the shoulder, but pretty minimal. Cleaned up loader andmadesure no shot in reprimer. Put everything in place and pulled the handle down and BANG! Made a bit of a mess again haha. My theory is the internals of the primer got damaged the first attempt, and when the primer popped into the hull, as Nobels will do, it reacted and popped. Nota dent or mark on the primer bottom. Wear that eye protection when loading! Ive entered that age where I need it to see up close anyways. Ive loaded probably 3 sleeves of NS primers and not had any problems, im not very quick to blame the brand here. Any similar occurences or thoughts? This was more of a heads up to reloaders than a bashing of a particular brand or q&a

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I think your assessment is likely accurate.

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Clean your shorts.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you get a message from the handle, stop and check it out. Find out what the problem is. HMB

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

I had that happen with a NS primer in a Remington 20 ga hull. Took out the fired primer, and replaced it with a fresh one. It fired, too, so I threw the hull away. The primer pocket must have been undersized, and the NS primer was a little oversized. I was surprised it did not startle me more.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Maybe that 20ga hull was possessed by demons. HMB

7. oz

oz Active Member

isn't it nice that only one goes off? have to thank the reloader engineers for that one.

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

SCL, it is quite common with a mec and spilled shot, a single pellet is still in the primer station -unseen, a primer is dropped on it the handle is pulled, BANG! anytime shot is spilled, take the primer staion and clean, or mmake sure you have a good vacuum. incinerate em!

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

BigBen's spot on!

10. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Almost crapped my shorts reading your post. I once had a small pistol primer go off using and old Lee Loader. Scared the sh$t out of me. BT100dc

11. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Geez I wish that was on video.

12. willing

willing Member

Thank the Mec engineers in that the powder has not dropped when the primer goes. Ask all Mec reloaders nd you might find that when you have a few spilled pellets that one might just end up n the priming stage and acts like a firing pin. It has happened to me twice.

bill

13. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

I had two Cheddite primers go off on me (using a MEC 9000H) before they dropped into the primer seating station. I saved them to return to Cheddite, but during one of my semi-frequent clean ups, I tossed them. It scared the hell out of me!

I must have gone through 30,000+ Cheddite primers with out a hitch before that happened. But, because of that, I no longer use them.

Bob M.

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

bigben,

If that were the case, woudn't it have dented the primer? SCL says it was unmarked!

15. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I hate to say never but I'v been loading on Mec loaders for yrs and not a hitch.
    I think it would be hard for the primer seat to act like a fireing pin since the seat is spring releived and not a hard seat---Maybe that's why I never had a problem---JMO----SJB

16. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

SJB,

The primers never made it to the primer seat! They went off while being shuttled to it. There was nothing to make a dent in the bottom and that's what scared me. They went of while moving.

Bob M.

17. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Bob---That's strange---1st I ever heard of that---Did you ever ger an answer?
    George

18. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

That's really scary, a primer going off before seating. I could understand if dented. Thanks for the information. Could it involve static? BT100dc

19. SCL

SCL Member

Nope no dents in the primer, and the reprimer was cleaned up prior to this so im pretty sure there was no shot contamination

20. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

SCL,

Maybe we should send you some toilet paper eh?

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.