1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

primer differences

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike T, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike T

mike T Member

Is there really any difference between Cheditte and Fiocchi primers?

Which do you prefer? Why?

Any problems with either?

thanks
    mike t

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Mike: I probably shouldn't respond to this, as I am surely not an expert. However, I am bored this afternoon; so I will give my $.02 worth. (It may not be worth that much). I reload and always load on the "low end" of the spectrum. Therefore I feel any primer will ignite my powder and the shot will be propelled to the target and break it. (Hopefully). However, it's when one "pushes the envelope" and produces a load that is on the high end of the reloading charts; that you need to be aware. So, if you load a very light 1 oz load as I do. Not to worry!! You can use most any primer. Cheddite, Fiocchi, whatever. The basic principal is that the primer ignites the powder. So, if you stick to the light loads as I do your OK. That being said, please consult the guidelines for the powder you are using. i.e., if using Red Dot consult the Alliant website, Clays, consult the Hogden website, etc. etc. Doing this along with weighing your powder drops on a scale will give you piece of mind. By the way, I use Fiocchi primers and am well satisfied. Ed

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have had some weak sounding loads with Red Dot and Fiocchi 616 primers but my Handicap loads with Green Dot seem OK. Cheddite primers did nasty things to the end of firing pins on my Browning Citori but that was over 5 years ago. I believe Cheddites are a tad hotter than Fiocchi primers. When my current 5k of Fiocchi's are used up I'm gonna buy something else maybe Cheddites again. I never had problems with Winchester primers in 45 years of reloading.

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Just my personal preference, but two weeks ago, in the middle of a single-digit cold snap, I shot 100 26gm Cheddite reloads and 100 Nobel Sport reloads (in an auto). I noticed an unusually high number of poppers I don't get in warmer weather. That experience convinced me to save the off-brands for summer.

Hardly scientific.

Kip

5. cp

cp TS Member

Kip,
    What was your load? Powder,wad & hull. Just interested because it was a topic of discussion today. Not much was said about the Nobel other then a good friend of mine ordered 5000 of them & asked me what I thought. I told him I guess you are in for a learning experience.....

6. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

Don't shot an "Auto" .....but I've never had anything CLOSE to a plopper with Fio's/Win's/Rem209's. I've shot in below zero many times too.I've shoot a few 25/25's with Unique and Fio's @ -0 . Perhaps powder is the issue?

7. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

According to Hodgen's web site reloading tables, the Fiocchi 616 primers are closer to the Federal primers and the Cheddite primers are close to the Winchester primers. the loads listed for Fiocchi primers just about duplicate the Federal loads and the Cheddite loads just about duplicate the Winchester loads.

....Paul

8. mike T

mike T Member

thanks all,
    I to load on the light side. About 1145 for 1oz and 1 1/8 oz loads. If I want a heavy load I will shoot new Nitros.
    mike t

9. abiezer

abiezer Guest

michshooter,
    i've never seen where the fio is anywhere close to the 209A.
    just a couple loads from Alliants site:

Fio 616 RXP12 22.0 Green Dot 9,100 1250fps,

Fed 209A RXP12 19.5 Green Dot 10,500 1145fps

Fio 616 Figure8 19.5 Promo 10,600 1200fps,

Fed 209A Figure8 16.5 Promo 10,300 1145fps

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I load STS hulls with 17.1 of Clays and a WJII wad (26gm of 7.5's). It's my favorite light caps and 5-stand recipe. I've been shooting an 1100 Comp for about 3 seasons. I've never had this trouble before, but it's never been this cold, either. The 1100 Comp has been an excellent gun.

This is the first year I've loaded off-brand primers in any quantity. I've been loading WW for 12 years, before now. I noticed that the Cheddite's seemed much dirtier, and the Nobel's crono'd slower, but not enough to concern me.

Like I said, it's just personal preference, but I'm sticking with the WW for the winter. I'll burn up the 4K of Cheddite's and Nobel's I have left when the weather gets better.

Kip

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

The size may be a problem. The Cheddite is about .002 larger than rem. And the Fio I checked was .003 larger. They work ok but if you go back the pocket may be loose

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Kevin at Downrange has done extensive test here.. I'd consult him for correct answers.

13. tjcutter

tjcutter TS Member

Ive had some problems with the fio stretching the pocket in Rem. hulls to the point that after switching back to Win, Chedditte, etc. some have fallen out.

Tom

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Once I use the Fiocchi primer then I won't switch to another brand as it is to my understanding that these primers are a few thousandths larger. I will, however, measure these to check for myself. Darrell

15. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

Abiezer:

Here are the loads using Winchester AA hulls from Hodgen's website which caused me to make the statement that Fiocchi primers were closer to Federal 209's. I must admit it surprized me also.

1 1/8 oz. Clays Fio. 616 WAA12 16 10,900 PSI 1145
    1 1/8 oz. Clays Fed. 209A WAA12 16 10,800 PSI 1145
    1 1/8 oz. Clays Ched. 209 WAA12 17.2 10,700 PSI 1145
    1 1/8 oz. Clays Win. 209 WAA12 17.3 8,800 LUP 1145

....Paul

16. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Welcome back Mike.

17. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

flincher you have been sniffing osoma tooooooooooo long

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A lot of reloaders have experienced cold weather issues with the Fiocchi 616 and some have experienced some firing pin issues with the Cheddite. In any event, use reliable loading data for either. There are some wide discrepancies between powders and powder company data, especially for the Fiocchi 616. Neither primer is oversized and are within reasonable standard 209 size tolerances. The contours of the primers may differ from some standard primers, but the diameters are close.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Quack Shot is 100% correct.. I would suggest contacting Kevin at Downrange.. He has tested ALL primers and has much to say about what is good.. and what is not.. Flincher is actually right about the choice of wads in cold weather.. but if the primers are not doing there part.. NO wad will perform correctly..Again.. a call to Kevin would be useful.. and Fiocchi are NOT cold weather primers.. I love them in summer..but under 40 degrees there performance is marginal at best...

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Welcome Back Mike! Good to see you back online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

is the fio616 equivalent to win209