1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Differences ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfan517, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfan517

jfan517 Member

Will/Can primers change a load recipe's rated FPS?

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Sure can...

Use Hodgdon data for a 1 1/8 oz load in an STS hull with a Figure 8 wad and 18 grn of Clays powder as one example:<ul><li>using a CCI primer the velocity is 1145 FPS<li>using a Fed 209A primer, 18 grns would produce substantially higher than 1145 FPS because that's what you'd get with just 16.9 grn of Clays<LI>Winchester and Rio primers would both produce higher than 1145 FPS with 18 grn. because they both produce that velocity with just 17.5 grn of powder.</UL>

An important point to note is that the primers that would produce the higher velocities will also produce higher chamber pressures... in some cases high enough to exceed the max limit for a 2¾" 12 gauge chamber.

MK

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Give a recipe for a trap load that just by changing the primer will blow the gun up. I'm not saying changing the primer won't change the fps or felt recoil, but it will not blow the gun up.

4. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

Pullin Clay there is a very informative article in www.trapshootingusa.com click on the above link.

Go to the past issues, issue 9, page 53, for comparisons when you swap primers.

Also, go to issue 10, page 44, for swapping wads.

Hope this helps.

Charlie

5. jfan517

jfan517 Member

Thank you for the information

6. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pullin Clay:

Willie nillie primer substitution is an inordinantly bad idea. Here's why.

Primer substitution affects not only velocity (a performance issue) but more importantly, chamber pressures. Those pressure differences can be SIGNIFICANT. The URL above is a link to some test data documenting examples.

I've also seen test data for reloads where the only change was crimp depth. Pressure variations caused by different crimp depths ALONE can be as much as 2000 psi.

Research old ts.c threads and you'll find "experts" claiming any random combination of junk you sweep off your loading room floor will make a perfectly good reload. It aint so.

You'll never go wrong using tested data published by component manufacturers.

sissy

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Recoil Sissy, How much crimp depth variation to cause 2K increase in pressure?

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"How much crimp depth variation to cause 2K increase in pressure?"</I></blockquote>...depending on the components involved and from the P&V tests Downrange did for me, about .030" ought to do it.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.