1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer comparison

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1881home, Feb 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    How do Fiocchi primers compare with Federal and Winchester primers in pressure developed with the same powder? In this case "Clays". I'm loading 17.5 Clays in a Federal Gold Medal hull, with the Federal 12S0 one ounce wad.

How do their dimensions compare to the same American primers. At one time, I had heard that all foreign primers were slightly larger.

I'm speaking of the Fiocchi 616 primer.

Any valid statistical information you can pass along is appreciated.
  2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I have HEARD That your primer is the same size as American primers. That said now go to Hodgdon.com and contact a reloading tech by phone or by E-mail both of which you can find on there website and get all the data and info you need from the horses mouth. All the rest is just hear-say. Now go. Break-em all. Jeff
  3. TRW369

TRW369 TS Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I have loaded the Fiocchi primer and they are very good primer but they are alittle over sized and have load them in federal hall and wad with clays but am loading around 18.2 and they work great still like my 700x a little better
    did happen to fine that if I did load other primers after using the Fiocchi
    I sometimes fine a primer in my pouch that fell out of the shields and if I use them in my auto they sometimes blow back out but just using the fiocchi primer never had a problem have load about 50,000 shell with fiocchi and never had a bad primer
  4. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Aug 26, 2007
    The 616 is all I load.I have never had a bad one and don't know if they are oversized or not.I just have had such good luck with them that I won't go back down the "name brand" road.If the 616's are oversized just keep stuffing them in the same batch of hulls and you will never have to worry about it.Try them,I think you may like them........
  5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I used a bunch of them (about 16,000) and I would use them again. They had the hardest primer cup I have ever tested and that caused some misfires when coupled with WW AAHS 12 ga hulls in my Ljutic Bi-Gun. They worked great in every other gun I shot.

--- Chip King ---
  6. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Since you're using a 12S0 wad in the GM hull I'll assume you're loading 1 oz of shot.

If you look in Hodgdon Powder's online data base for Gold Medal hulls you'll find that...<UL><li>with the Fiocchi 616, 18 grn of Clays produces 1180 FPS and 7700 PSI<LI>with a Federal 209A, 17.9 grn of Clays produces 1180 FPS and 7700 PSI<li>with a Winchester 209, 18.5 grn of Clays produces 1180 FPS and 7900 PSI</UL>

The Federal primer is the only one of the three you mentioned that has data for an 1145 FPS load.

If you're loading 7/8 oz or 1 1/8 oz loads, the data is in the same place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.