1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Primer Blowback Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esetter, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have been getting blowback on my Federal 410 hulls using Winchester primers. Have tried everything I can think of to fix the problem. Anyone have any suggestions. I shoot a lot of 410 and I'm afraid this is going to damage the area around the firing pins.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Seems to me you could try a oversized primer like the Rio's or Nobel Sports, or you need to get some new hulls. Good luck and Break-em all. Jeff

On a side note, not one of our local shooters at 2 different clubs I go to shoot or reload any Federals in any gauges at all. You have to remember that most don't even shoot the 12 ga. so they only have to reload the other 3 with only 2 different powders. The Win. AA HS is the most popular hull to load in the 410 these days. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with 12 ga AA hulls, 1-piece or 2-piece, with Federal primers...black soot rings around the firing pins. It starts to show up on the third reload so I don't reload them 3 times. I guess a .001" difference in primer diameter makes a difference. Yeah, it can crud up an action.

MK

4. esetter

esetter Active Member

I've tried some of the Rio primers in them and they are so tight I can't get them to seat properly. These shells are 2 1/2 federal skeet hulls and they reload better than any hull I have found with 410 powder, except for the blowback problem.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just a few observations. Have you tried the Federal primers? Same results? A primer like the Cheddite, CCI209M, or even the Fiocchi are a little less tapered and don't have the "step" like the Winchesters. The other and most important issue is that of available data. Swapping primers around without data to support it can be a VERY dangerous thing to do.

Some old timers once taught me how to tighten the primer pockets for one more loading or two. They would fashion a punch with a ring on the end and insert it into the hull and give it a whack to tighten up the primer pocket. It seemed to work for them, but I would draw the line at using elmer's or scotch tape to hold the crimp together.

6. Unknown1

7. esetter

esetter Active Member

Thanks for sending the link on the tool. Only problem it is only good for 10 - 28 gauge hulls. I will try another brand of primers other than rio or nobel sport and see what I get. I know changing primers can cause a slight increase or decrease in speed or pressure but "very dangerous".

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

esetter

Yes, the words were VERY dangerous. Imagine what effect a primer change might have on an already "near the max" load if it were to raise pressures by two or three thousand PSI, or maybe more. Several thousand PSI increases or decreases between primers would not be uncommon. Many 410 loads are already pretty high to begin with. I'd certainly do my homework before swapping them around. You can't really know just what effect such a change will have on a load either. There is really no such thing as a mild or hot primer, since they can always do the opposite of what was expected.

Since some people fire many thousands of these loads a year in a target shotgun and some even with tube sets, it would be playing with fire. I don't know about you, but I'd like to know that the load I am using will be within accepable pressure limits.

At the very least, get an expert opinion and ask the powder manufacturers. The best recourse would be to have your loads tested if there is no data to support your combination of components.

9. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Hulls will accept a different primer brand but will alter the pocket in some way when changed to another brand."</i></blockquote>...but are some of the differences in the shapes of the primer pockets of the cut open hulls solely the result of differences in design and engineering, are they the result of the manufacturing process, or are they the result of the way heat and pressure of the first firing altered the pocket to conform to the shape of the primer in it?

Most reloaders know that primer pockets will adjust to accept other primers more easily after the first firing or two with that primer so to me it's logical that the same thing would happen with the first primer fired in the hull?

MK

10. td_ict_ks

td_ict_ks TS Member

headspace?

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Nobels are slightly oversized, work well in Fed hulls. I have loaded a truckload of these hulls, and their primer pockets enlarge quickly.

Nobel, then Rio, then the can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

primer blowback