1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Prime Rib Revisited NEW Temp Info

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Dec 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I posted this some years back and cannot bring it back up on Search. So, here it is again. Go with 135 degrees, not 140

Buy a prime rib about 2 to 5 days prior to cooking it. Wrap it in paper towels like this

mia_2008_0303160.jpg
    put it into the lowest coldest part of your refrigerator till you plan to cook it. Turn the roast 180 once a day. If room, do end for end as well at other times during the day. Change the paper at least once and more it you leave it for the 3 to 5 days as I do.

Then remove it and season it as you wish. Simple stuff, garlic powder, salt, pepper, etc and then begin the browning process on top of the stove. This is not a necessary step but it makes for a more attractive roast and more like "supper club" prime rib
    mia_2008_0303161.jpg
    then do the all the sides using a fork to hold the rib in position. Just takes a few minutes at med/high heat.
    mia_2008_0303162.jpg

Then insert your digital thermo and place it into a 275 oven and watch the temp. I further check the temp with my instant as well. 140 degrees is the recommended temp for med rare. Adn it will be med rear thru out and not raw in the middle. It will have two med hunks on the ends.
    mia_2008_0303163.jpg

When it reaches the 135 get it out and put it on the side for 20 minutes, tented with foil loosely.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What are you using for oil during the browning process and how much?

Looks very nice! Is the glass of Cab for the chef or does the roast get a shot too?

3. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb TS Supporters TS Supporters

Looks good. Also, make sure you ask you're butcher for USDA prime. If you don't you're getting a choice or select cut of meat. Only 2% of all meat is USDA prime. And you can taste the difference.

Doug

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

When I age my beef for generally 30 days I wrap it like this but use cheesecloth

5. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I remember when you posted this and some guys gave you grief about the dirty oven. prime looks good.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The wife has run across a new? idea here. She says the instructions for preparation are pretty much your choice and preferred experience but the Rib goes in a pre heated oven at something like 500 degrees. When the meat is in the oven, it is turned off and then it is left to cook until a time charted in the instructions based on the weight of the meat. Opening the oven door at any time before the appropriate time is governed by a death sentence. She has several friends that swear by this recipe.

Anyone aware or able to give the basic details???.......breakemall

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BDodd - Is this Paula Deen method what you were thinking of?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/foolproof-standing-rib-roast-recipe/index.html

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I do the same but cover all the meat with kosher salt and when ready to roast wipe the salt off.
    Joe

9. kenf

kenf Active Member

Jack,

What is the reasoning behind wrapping the roast in papertowel? I see it is drawing the blood out, but how does it help the taste? I don't know much about aging beef, other than some wet age, and others dry age.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

mrskeet410, no, I'm told that the recipe can be found at a site on the internet; "Just a Pinch" that my wife uses regularly. For some reason she's keeping the details out of the explanation and I'm not in the mood to argue so close to the Holidays (is that PC enuf?). The Dean thing does seem somewhat similar......breakemall

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

That looks like it might be a glasss of Coppola.

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I'm on my way Jack..should i bring a Merlot or a nice Cab Souvignon????

13. JACK

I'll fill in some blanks vernite

14. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I am picking up prime rib tomorrow afternoon. We watched Chuck Hughes on the cooking channel pack a prime rib with thyme, rosemary, peppercorns, etc... make a salt paste and pack around the prime rib. Once out of the oven he took the hilt of his knife as I recall and smacked the salt dome which fell apart.

Buddy tried this recipe a couple weeks ago and he said once he cracked open the shell a bunch of juice ran out which of course was turned into a gravy...

Just use a throw-away roasting pan to make clean up easier.

<html>
    <body>

salt crusted prime rib

</body>
    </html>

15. 575cas

575cas Member

The recipe for cooking a prime rib at 500 degrees is as follows: 5-5-5

Preheat oven to 500 degrees, Put prime Rib in black skillet season at will, Cook at 500 degrees for 5 min per pound plus 5 min, Shut oven off let sit in heat for one hour. Prime Rib should be Perfect. This Recipe is Called 5-5-5. Paul

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Thanks Paul, I'll copy that and giv-'r-a try. Found the wife simply didn't have the details complete so I'll coach the bride and daughter. Or, I could get told to have some more Irish whiskey and stay in the living room!.....breakemall.

ADD. Since reply, I've found there are many similars and the one the daughter wants to use is a little different. I still like the summer BBQ recipe. MIA, forgive my stirring around in your thread. <;-)

17. JACK

Wolfram. Use any oil. Olive oil is a healthy first choice, but equally as healthy (if not more so) is Grapeseed oil. I would brown that in about 4 TB or so, + or -.

KenF. If you wrap the meat in paper, turn it occasionally, change the paper when it becomes blood soaked, you leech the blood juices from the meat. Takes about 5 days to lose about 10 to 15% of its weight. Then as the prime cooks the med rare part does not have the runny juices. Essentially, supper clubs cook their primes with low heat (270 approx) and as the meat approaches 130, they shut the heat down in the oven to about 125 and the meat stays at med rare 140 for the length of time it takes for the roast to be carved and served up. They use larger roasts, but the principal is the same.

The object with this method is to produce a consistent med rare throughout the roast and not medium on the outer areas and raw in the middle.

Usually, I cook a 5 lb roast.This time I am making a 10 lb one so that I have a whack left over for my wife and I and another whack for Erin and Mark and the kids. I am cooking this at their place tomorrow afternoon.

18. JACK

My prime rib was tougher than it should have been. we struggled thru it. but the temp kept rising while the roast sat on the carving board. 140 was too high. I twas mostly medium with some segments of medium rare. Go for 135.

19. tgs1420

tgs1420 TS Member

"Prime" Boneless Rib Roast is worth 16.95
    "Choice" Boneless Ribeye is about 10.99
    anything lower for Boneless RUN !

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Got Bone in for $4.98 and Boneless for $5.20 and they are great cuts. Got them at winco & by the way jack, I do mine to 125-130

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.