1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pride---do we sometimes let it effect our shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Dec 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just something I wanted to share.I think I learned something this past weekend.

Showed up to the League shoot,signed up,got on third squad out.Well,when we were finally called I started towards the line.First,I was dissappointed it was a short squad(4).Then I seen the shooters, a young boy,maybe 12, a young girl maybe 14 and the dad of the 12 year old,and me.(61).At first I thought ,,what the hey,an oldster like me shooting with these youngens,is someone trying to tell me something.I realize I've been struggling lately,scores lower than 3 yrs ago.Finally as I setup at my post,I finally realized I'm NOT shooting againest these kids,It's me againest those birds.Decided to get rid of the cloud over my head and just have fun.To top it off,between stations I made it a point to tell the young girl how well she did.Made sure I chatted to father and son before our handicap shoot.I still didn't set the world on fire,but had the third best score this year so far for me.

So,I was just wondering,how many times do we get disatisfied with the squad we're put on,and let that drag our scores down.I've decided that ain't happening with me,I'm gonna stay positive,even if they continue to put me with the kids,I'll encourage them until they'll be smoking the targets and be on top.

Doug H.

2. BustClays

BustClays Member

hubris is our enemy in most things. From the simplest disagreement to some of the world's greatest abominations, most can be traced back to the hubris demonstrated by an individual or group. I need to be constantly on guard because it can even sneak in during normal give and take. Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience. I will remember it and try to benefit from it.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Your close Doug but it isn't you against the targets its you against you. Winning doesn't come in the form of money or trophies but rather the satisfaction of self improvement.

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ask yourself this: "When we leave this mortal orb, will we be remembered more for our accomplishments or for our character?"

(I forget that all too often, come to think of it...)

5. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

Just be glad you can shoot. Three years ago at the SC State shoot. I was squadded on point five (that I fear) with three wheelchair shooters and a teenage girl in her first competition. An endless series of instructions from all of us were passed along after every shot she took. The wheel chair shooters were great guys and we muddled through.

I won the State Senior Vet Championship tying the record I set ten years earlier. I shoot awful scores too.

Break Them All

Hank Cross

6. Firewater

Firewater Member

Thanks Dhip and Guys. Great post. Mike

7. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

doug its the people u meet in the sport and the commeridy. if it was only about scores and winning could we live with ourselves from week to week. an old timer once asked me what do you want out of the game. thought about it and figured it out. thnks for reading my comment and have a great day howard

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

For me I think it's more stupidity than pride, sometimes all those darn trees get in the way and I miss the beauty of the forest. I didn't even know there was such a thing as organized trap shooting until the early 1960s, never did win much of anything but have met (& do meet) some of the best people on this planet.

Retired now but still go to the "club" frequently, we flap our jaws more than we shoot the friendship aspect has taken over 1st place. Try to help with the youth & newbee & ladies groups when I can. Still play scorekeeper at the local club for reg. shoots. Ross Puls

9. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I try to clear my mind of everything around me before I hit the line. I have always told myself that I am my only competition. My problem lately is when I practice I don't take it as serious as the shoots therefor once in awhile there is a dropped easy target. I guess its time to buckle down but I kind of like to relax this time of year. I am one of those people who can shift gears when I need to.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

NOt me Doug..as you know I have no pride,..and as far as having any class goes..I have plenty of that,..its just all low ; ))

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Wolfram,,Yep,that definetly refines the thinking.Me against me,LOL,,I think I'll just go ahead and stomp that sucker next time...

Doug H.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Doug, You did great! I would shoot with you anywhere anytime. Bill

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I use to be handicapped at 25 1/2 yards. through the years I've gone down to the 20 yard line. I have not shot ATA tournaments in 5 years and the first time shooting from 20 yards I shot with a mother, her daughter of 12, and son of 13, and an elderly man who sat on a stool.

Before I took my first shot I was thinking how and the he-- can I drop off this squad? I decided to stick it out and I soon realized the mother and the two children knew the rules and also knew how to shoot.

After the shooting was over the score board showed the mother shot a 92, the daughter a 90, the son a 88, and the man on the stool had a 89, and I had an 88.

I learned something very important that day.
    Steve Balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.