1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pricer gun = better scores?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oregunner, Apr 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Keep listening to your teacher. If you can barely afford the sport now, it is not the time to spend money on a gun you can't afford. It's a sport/hobby, not a profession. Very few people make money at trap shooting. Shoot what you have and as much as you can afford. Have fun. Mark

2. reed92

reed92 TS Member

The pricier guns generally have less recoil, are balanced better, and are more adjustable. It does basically come down to how well the gun fits you.

While a 'better' gun may help you pick up a few targets here and there, you should keep in mind that it generally takes 1000's of targets and a couple of years to get truly comfortable with a new gun.

As far as pattering goes, I would recommend it in most cases. If you have an adjustable comb, you can adjust left, right, up or down depending on where you want to be shooting (80%/20% for most and centered, of course). BUT, if you do not have an adjustable comb I wouldn't bother; it will only mess with your head.

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its not the arrow its the indian....if you grind targets with it...its reliable and fits you that its comfortable to shoot for long outings...then the price tag dont mean squat

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

But if you want to shoot doubles, it will be pretty hard with the BT. Also, if it kicks you, that is not something that you should have to handle. Could be a fit issue. You MIGHT be better off with one gun that will last you a lifetime AND be able to shoot everything with. Make it fit and leave it alone and shoot it till the cows come home. If you are shooting 96's now, you are doing great. It is always the indian not the arrow but a good arrow never hurts. I shot everything with a super x. To each his own but you should have something that everything can be shot with. Doubles are the most fun and the bt will never get you over a 50 average. John

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

another possibility is to purchase an aftermarket stock better configured for you.

6. Oregunner

You already have the BT and the Perazzi MT6 to choose from. How does the P gun fit you? Can you shoot it well? There is no rule that says you can't shoot an O/U for singles and handicap, as well as doubles. Shoot the gun that fits, or work at getting them to fit. Both are quality guns that will serve you well for a long time. Mark

7. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

BT 99's are great guns with great dynamics and are probably the best value ever for a single barrel trap gun. Many great scores have been shot with BT's ad there's no good reason the go to something else for singles or caps. If the gun pushing you a little harder than you like, you can deal this in a number of ways starting with some added weight in the stock or a recoil reduction device like GraCoil or one of Ken Ruckers Bumpsters or maybe a softer recoil pad.

I've owned MT-6's and they also are wondeful guns, you may find you can shoot all events well with this gun, or you may find you shoot the BT better at singles and caps while reserving the MT-6 for doubles. As Calvin says, its the Indian, not the arrow.

Don't believe the more expensive the gun, the softer it shoots, do believe gun fit is eveything..........

If you're running 95's and 96's its your head not a new gun that will break those three or four missed targets.

Surfer

8. Oregunner

It's called the new gun syndrone. When you first shoot a new gun, you concentrate and bare down on shooting well. You always shoot a new gun better, even better than you will if you decide to buy it. I have shot a borrowed Kolar, and they are nice guns, but I ran my first hundred straight with a Browning Special Trap Edition, and I ran my last 25 straight with a Remington 1100. Fight the urge to blame your gun for the targets that you miss. It's usually not the case. Mark

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Regardless of gun make, you'll break better scores and shoot more consistantly with a fitted to you stock. Adding weight helps reduce felt recoil.

Hap

10. typhoon

typhoon TS Member

Shooting a lighter load will help reduce recoil as well. I often shoot with a AA/27 yard shooter. I once asked him what reloads he uses. He shoots the same load for all events, single, doubles and handicap. Less than 1,100 fps!!! 1& 1/8 ounce load.

He feels this light load has many benefits and does not (obviously) cost him any targets. Benefits include reduced flinching, greater endurance over a long-shooting weekend, staying "in the gun" for the 2nd shot of doubles, and a cleaner gun at the end of the day.

I tried it, but can't quite get myself to load that light. Besides, factory loads lighter that 1,145 fps are hard to find, so that's what I stick with. No need for a faster, heavier load IMHO.

11. Oregunner

Because they can.

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

There are some simple qualities that make a shotgun a good shotgun. In my opinion two stand above everything else; fit and consistency.

Consistency:
    The trigger must be consistent. It can be heavy or light. It can have some slop or be like breaking glass. No matter what it is, it has to be consistent. Take that consistency out and you have a poor Trap gun. I've shot BT-99s that had triggers that met this consistency. They weren't the best for feel or pull weight, but they were the same every time.

If it's the same every time, you can work with it. If it changes, even for just one target, it will keep you out of the winner's circle.

Fit:
    Gun fit, specifically shotgun fit, is a function of consistency. If the gun doesn't fit, you can't mount it consistently. It will be uncomfortable to shoot and consequently (and unconsciously) you will change your mount a little each time. You may not feel like you are, but you are. That change will affect where you place your shot and how you swing.

Most don't really know what it means to have a shotgun fit right. There are two books that help to alleviate that lack of knowledge:

The Stock Fitter's Bible by Rollin Oswald<br>
    Understanding Shotgun Stocks for better shooting by Jeff Maloy

Get one or both of these books. It will be some of the best money you'll ever spend on Trap shooting.

13. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If you get the chance to handle and shoot some higher end guns, chances are you will find one that speaks to you. Generally better triggers, better balance and materials that last a long, long time are properties of a higher end gun. Although sometimes ignorance is bliss, because once you find "the one" it will be hard not to buy it.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

These guys are all full of dung. You should take out a loan for as much money as you possibly can with everything you own as collateral. You will instantly be a World Champion shooter.

Not really but you'll sure look good acting. :)

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

The high dollar gun is a bragging piece. You look better when you miss. Your ego wants compliments. Guns and cars are similar. I know people with over 200,000. miles on a Chevy. But you need a Mercedes or a Ferrari if you want to be noticed. Clyde Doll

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Yes... The price of your gun is directly proportional to your score.

That's straight from a Perazzi rep. or was it from a Krieghoff rep., cant remember :)

Mark

P.s. Actually there is very tiny grain of truth to that. The cheapest, poorly made guns dont exactly make it any easier.

17. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Actually, I'd say that most shooters started out with a low dollar gun.

I shot a Model 12 for over 20 years before moving up to a Perazzi single barrel.

What ever you shoot, if you are breaking targets good with it, just keep on doing what you are doing.

Don't worry about what others shoot.

One time I got into a shoot off with my Model 12 against someone shooting a $20,000.00 gun. There was no way I was going to let that man beat me and my little Model 12.

That expensive gun worked against him that day. I won 25-23.

So it isn't the gun so much as the attitude.

If you have confidence in your gun it goes a long ways towards getting yourself in the winners circle.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

18. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

A Krieghoff seller once told me that with a Krieghoff K-80 you will always break one more target than you would have with any other gun.

If you're shooting a K-80 and break 98, you would have broken 97 with any other gun.

If you're shooting something else and break 98, you would have broken 99 with the K-80.

If you run 100 Straight with something else...

19. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be overly concerned with shotgun price vs. shotgun performance at this point. That BT-99 is a fine gun. You might want to spend a little time with a stockfitter to get it to stop "thumping" you. I recall the day a bunch of us showed up with our "P" and "K" guns at a club to show the locals how things were done. There was an old guy sitting on a bench smoking a cigerette and he had with him a ratty looking, beat up BT 99. He got squaded with us "gold triggered supergunners" and sent us all home with our tails between our legs, so to speak. I learned to respect old men and BT 99's from then on. If you are breaking 96's, I think you'll find out it's not the gun.

20. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Yes it is the arrow more times then not, give me a nice carbon arrow versus something whittled off a tree. I have made poor shots and my K gun pulled thru and some.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.