1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pricecheck on a Citori Ultra XT

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BELGIBOY, Sep 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

A local gunstore has a used Browning Citori Ultra XT for sale. It has the 32" barrels, invector choke tubes, no adjustable comb and the receiver has the gray 'titanium-like' finish with gold Buckmark and lettering. I haven't been able to find any dings or scratches in the stock at all. The only thing is that there may be a hairline crack in the forearm, but the finish is not cracked at all so it's possible that it is refenished or I'm just seeing ghosts. I shouldered it a couple of times and the beads stack up very nicely when I put my cheek on the stock. The LOP seems to be exactly what I'm comfortable with too. The gun is priced at $1575 and it would be my first dedicated trap gun. I've been shooting the Browning Gold Hunter which fits me really nicely too. Any opinions on this gun and/or price would be very helpful.

Steven

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Without looking at a Blue book, that sounds like a reasonable price, as long as it has not been refinished. I would probably offer him $1450. I know several years ago you could buy a brand new basic XT for roughly $2000, therfore I do not think I would pay almost $1600 for a used one with a crack. Doesent sounds too out of line but I would see if he will go any lower. Its a great gun and you wont regret it.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Try a bit less....seen some discussions on here for $1500 with adj comb so offer like $1400 for it.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Ultra was an early model, so the gun could be over 10 year old. Still, it probably sold new for what they're asking 10 years ago, so that's not a bad price.
    Don't worry about the crack in the forend. They all got that on the thin tab area that mates with the receiver. Bad design, but not a stress area. Unlikely that the wood was refinished if there is no sign of gouges or dents. Sounds like a good deal.

5. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

Thank you for the responses, it's very likely that I will buy or at least put in an offer. One more thing that I forgot to mention is that it does not come with a box. Don't know if that changes things much...

6. The Stive

The Stive Member

Good price. Buy it and have fun. John

7. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I am also a Gustop shopper. That is a crack that has been glassed in. I would be the new owner of it already if I could find a straight trigger instead of that right angled thing. It fits me like a glove also. I think the chokes are IM and Mod, but no choke wrench or full. They come new with 3 triggers, but if you like that one, you probably won't care if you have two more in the box.

Funny thing on GB is a guy who has one in western MN advertised as mint even though he states the stock has been cut off 1/2".

8. zeke6976

zeke6976 TS Member

I just checked to see what that gun would cost brand new. The wholesale price to me as a dealer is $1976.00 new. This should give you some starting point for price comparison. Good Luck it's a nice gun.

9. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

One more consideration. Through the end of this year Browning will refund you $150 worth of ammo if bought at the same time and place as a new citori per their website.

I am on the fence as well.

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I just traded in an XT Ultra at our local gun shop. They gave me 1500 and put it on the rack for 1950. That one had the adjustable comb and some extra tubes. There are still a few new ones out there. Another nearby gun shop has five new ones in stock. The Ultra is a higher end version than the plain XT. New they list for over three grand.
    Bill in MI

11. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I called browning and they told me that the Ultra XT is the older version and the XT is the newer. The guy went back through the catalog 3 years. They didn't say anything about it being higher end, just older.

12. joannl030

joannl030 Member

My boyfriend just won an Ultra XT on Gunbroker that has the adjustable stock and an adjustable butt pad for $1500. It's beautiful and it was shipped in a hard case at no extra charge. I like the gun as I am a browning fan anyways. If you like it, buy it, if you are on the fence, just keep shopping and keep it in mind.

13. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

The "Ultra" XT was the first XT (after the Special Trap). Browning had to drop the "Ultra" due to a Trademark issue. For all practical purposes it is/was the same gun as the current XT.

14. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I just got one Joannl030 was telling you about the gun shoots awesome and the dealer I got it from was shocked noone out bid me but the deals are out there the ultra is NO different then the regular XT just looks a lil fancier with the Ultra infront !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Being it is in a shop if it is a private shop try for 1500 out the door.

Heres a link to show you the auction I won http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=134802082

Good luck have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry

15. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

Wow Jerry, the XT that you got on GB looks awesome. Funny enough, I have been checking GB periodically for a couple of weeks now and that one somehow slipped by me. Congrats on a great buy.

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My Ultra does not have the adjustable trigger. Worth checking because it's around 65 just for the adjustable "base" plus the cost of the triggers that fit on it. That could easily be 150 right there.

17. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

Is an adjustable trigger something worthwile looking into for a first gun? And if yes, it seems like it could be something that can be added afterwards by a gunsmith that knows what he's doing. I'm lucky enough that I have somebody to turn to when that issue arises.

18. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The name Ultra was removed by Browning in later models because of a copyright issue. It is not an upgraded of fancier model, but when you see the name on the gun you know it was an older model.

The early XT with the monte carlo stock did not have the replaceable (not adjustable) triggers, not did they have a palm swell. The XT with the adjustable comb and straight stock had both.

19. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

the adjustable trigger is not a must but makes it a lil easier to help custom fit the gun to you none of the adjustable parts are not absolute musts but they help makeing the gun fit you.

If your on a budget and this gun is in great shape and it looks like a gun you will be something youll be happy with you can always add the stuff it doesnt have later.

Jerry

20. BELGIBOY

BELGIBOY TS Member

Thanks for all the info. I decided to pass up on the Ultra XT, mainly because it didn't have the adjustable cheekpad.

I'm glad I did because I just bought this one on Gunbroker.com for less money and no 7.25% salestax.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=140998584

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2001 browning ultra xt trap
browning citori xt ultra
browning citori xt ultra for sale

browning ultra xt

browning ultra xt trap
browning ultra xt trap review
browning xt ultra
citori xt combo value