1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price range of a used serviceable K-80 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I have had good luck with buying used trap guns.

But realize there are some worn-out ones too.

What should one consider as the bottom end price range of the used serviceable K-80 shotguns ?

An over/under trap gun -- not a combo.

Saw one a while back for about $5,000.

Was quickly informed by others that any K-80 at that price probably was beyond repair and use.

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

you should live so long as to wearout a Krieghoff

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If it was a "scroll receiver" that price would be OK. And K guns are hard to wear out. They can be rebuilt. Remember that good target guns will go a million miles. Hard for anyone to put enough rounds thru the gun to render them worn out. As with any gun, look at the overall condition, open and close it to see if loose, snap the triggers to see if they work properly, then open and note the ejectors operation. If anything is sloppy or obviously worn or abused walk away. If it looks good, usually it is. Mostly guns get altered to death. If it has a lot of alterations, pass.

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

How the heck do you wear one out? I shoot with a guy (Jerry Grimes) that has over 250k through his and all he has ever done is spring replacements.

A good combo (old style) will go for $6500-7500. Figure $1500-2000 for the Single barrel if you part it out. I purchased a combo three years ago for $7000

Prices are eroding as more guys are "hanging it up" or moving to the latest/greatest fad. The O/U you found at $5000 does not sound out of line at all.

Don Verna

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Why do folks buy a top end gun like a Krieghoff and then not accept that Krieghoff knows how to build a gun ?

Unless they are going for aftermarket available engraving, what is someone going to do to improve a Krieghoff or Perazzi ?

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

A lightweight (except from a dealer) might now be worth $5000

A lightweight will look similar to a standard weight

Regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I have a KX-5 so I don't need the combo gun.

Just the over/under trap gun.

Can one wear out a gun short of intentional abuse ?

Over the years I have bought a fair number of used rifles and handguns. Avoiding ones with any rust or obvious physical damage, I have never found one that was worn-out. Who shoots enough full-power 44 Magnum to actually wear one out except for an IHMSA silhouette competitor ? Must exclude prairie doggin' rifles too. I can wear out a prairie dog rifle in a single trip to a dog town.

8. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Not sure of the difference between a lightweight and a regular K-80.

Would think I would want a heavy gun for trap.

Please educate me on this distinction.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

Hammer1

They may "think" they are improving it.

Barrel work, adding choke tubes, porting, longer forcing cones, adding recoil devices etc - all stuff that adds no/little value and in some cases reduces the value when they go to sell.

Use that knowledge in your negotiations. Barrel work (no added value), Ported barrels (knock off $3-500), etc

Don Verna

10. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Krieghoff-K-80-in-12-Gauge/1127393.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fgun-library-krieghoff%2F_%2FN-1103072%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103587480&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat103587480

Here is one at Cabela's that started out asking $10,000 and are now down to $6,000.

Fixed chokes.

Ported bottom barrel.

11. g7777777

Use kitchen magnet on side of the receiver- if it sticks it is not a lightweight

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. g7777777

Also watch out for a k32 barrel being on the gun rather than a K80 barrel

Regards from Iowa

Gene

13. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

There nothing on a Krieghoff that can't be repaired.

14. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Bought this one from Bob Schultz a couple of months ago for less than 5 grand with the original case.Good deals are out there, you just gotta look. GaryL.
    [​IMG]

15. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Do you think a good used serviceable K32 or a K-80 would be a better buy than a used Beretta DT-10 for the same money ?

16. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

17. Doug Mc

Doug Mc TS Member

I would avoid a Lightweight version ... the receivers are Aluminum ... Krieghoff no longer offers them ... there is a reason ... they crack ... it takes a while but over time you may have a problem ... a friend had one that cracked ... Krieghoff said they would replace the receiver with another Aluminum one ... no charge ... but they said over time this one could possibly do the same thing again ... they offered to exchange it with a Steel receiver ... cost $1500 ... he went with the Steel one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.