1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Price of shot up or going down

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

Looked to see if there was any current info on shot. Have the prices bottomed out ? Need to buy some soon and I have a hunch it is on the way up!

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Funny you ask...our distributor just went up 3.00 per bag today for a dealer cost of 25.50 per bag plus tax and any dealer mark-up. That is for Lawrence magnum.

3. 3357

3357 Member

$21.95 for Lawrence magnum last weekend at the Michigan team shoot. Dealer did say he was having trouble getting more.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Price of shot is temporarily going up!!

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If crude goes up, shot will go up. So will all the commodities. China is about to fire up its economy and will be importing more commodities (the BDI is going up).

I think $20.00 was the low. I expect shot to go up with the economic rebound.

Jim Skeel

6. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Jim, I think you are right on. Just watch copper- all of the base metals follow. Copper has been on a steady rebound.

7. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Our local source announced a two dollar increase for the next shipment of Eagle.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My supplier just hit me with a $3.00 a bag increase. What are you gonna do? The good news is we got another 10,000 w209 primers. Still no word on our 8lb. powder jugs we got back ordered.----Matt

9. grntitan

The big word is TRANSPORTATION!!!

10. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Commodities are going to go up. Dollar is going to go down. Both are bad for component prices! The only hedge I know of is to buy stocks.

Jim Skeel

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

When you finnish shooting for the day retrieve your shot and use it again. HMB

12. grntitan

I got tired of paying these outrageous lead shot prices so i'm reloading with steel and bismuth shot now. How much do you guys think i'm saving?----Matt

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

hmb, How can you tell which shot is yours?

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Anytime you have someone rasing the price of shot 2 or 3 dollars at a time is just gouging you dearly.
    Lead will not be going up for a long time. Right now a friend of mine makes bullets for several gunshops and most of the lead he gets is given to him by the tire shops. They are have trouble getting rid of it. Also some of the scrap yards will not take anymore now.
    This is just a last ditch effort to get rid of some expensive shot they got stuck with and not loose everything.

I do make my own shot mainly just for the satisifaction of doing it. I don't seem to tell the difference in my shooting.

The shot makers are getting their shot for the mines and the minning people have to seperate it form the other meterails anyway. I still say 14 to 16 dollar range will be bottom.

Right now its the time for the shell and powder mfgs. to play the game the lead market did. B12

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

JerryP,

I just collect an amount equal in weight to the shot I used.

On a serious note I was looking at some trap ranges in Italy on the computer. In the drop zone they had a screen at a 45 degree angle. They recover 96% of the shot used on the range. Something to think about. HMB

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

hmb, Here is something else to think about. I wonder what it cost to shoot there. Nothing is cheap in Europe.

17. Bamadawg

Bamadawg TS Member

Lead price is up over .13/lbs over the past two months. That would be $3.25/bag. $20.00 bags are going to be hard to come by in the next 3-4 months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.